Monday, March 21, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Dijorn Moss



The Retreat

Four men embark on a Christian retreat to get back on track and face tough facts about themselves and their choices. Quincy is trying to get through a divorce, but his hunger for revenge on the congregant who had an affair with his wife is halting his healing. Jamal’s unresolved issues with his son are threatening everything he’s worked for, including the promotion he’s fought so long for. Holy-roller Chauncey will do anything he can to help anyone in the church. So why has he turned his back on his terminally ill brother? And young hustler Will has finally been given a chance to change his life around…but will he take it? All at a crossroads in their lives, can they lay down their burdens and finally choose the righteous path?


How did you start out your writing career?

An English teacher got me into writing poetry and I got into playwriting after reading the Greek tradegies and Shakespeare. I entered the NAACP ACTSO competition and when I got a favorable respone from the judges, I decided to pursue a career in writing. I was all set to make my mark as a playwright when I told my best friend an idea for a play and he encouraged me to turn it into a novel. I followed my friends advice and My Father's House was published by Urban Christian in 2008.

What did you learn while writing this book?

First, I discovered my writing voice. My Father's House I was still trying to find my voice. In the Retreat I let go of the distractions and allowed the story to flow. I did not second guess myself. I also learned the difference between Urban Christian and Church drama. Church drama highlights the problems within the church but it does not offer anything that is edifying and at the end of the day, I strive to draw people closer to God.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hope that this book will minister to both men and women. I hope men will find the book to speak to the areas of their lives that they are not always comfortable talking about. I hope that women will have a better understanding of the struggles that a christian men endures and overall I hope that people will be entertained and fall in-love with these characters.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

Quincy because he is very unapologetic in how he conducts himself. His mindset is I am rich so I pay the cost to be the boss and he and Chauncey have real good scenes because they are the polar opposite of each other.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

How much the landscape has changed and how much leg work you have to do to promote your work.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love the whole writing process from idea to revisions to editing. The least favorite would have to be the promotion aspect becasue thats when you have to become a politica and instead of getting votes you lobby to get books sales.I do however enjoying getting a chance to talk to readers and book clubs.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

How hard it is to get support from independent owned bookstores and churches.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Overcome rejection. Do not allow rejection to deter you.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

The entire writing process and how much work goes into making a novel especially when you are an author that comes out with a book every year.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

I would be Pastor Dawkins from my story the Retreat. He is a man devoted to the purpose of fulfill his calling.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Watch movies and spend time with my wife and 8 month old son. I love friday nights because we usually grab some good food and a movie and sit there and enjoy quality time. I know my son is too young to know what's going on in the movie, but I know he appreciates being around his parents who love him very much.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I chat with a lot of my readers on facebook and I try to be very personable when I interact with them at public events. That is something that I am still working on because I have an introverted personality.

Our theme for this month is Resources On The Net.

What are your favorite resources on the net. Facebook. I have recieved some many sales and contacts through the social network that I am in debt to it.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

That I would not be here without God and that every moment I live, I live in a state of grace and mercy.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

I don't want to give away too much, but what I will say is that it will take readers on an extraordinary journey.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)
If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm


dijornmoss@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you SORMAG for the opportunity to be featured on your site.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!