Monday, February 05, 2007

FEATURED AUTHOR: KEVIN M. WEEKS

SORMAG: Please give the readers a brief bio on you the person and the writer.

Kevin M. Weeks:
Many find that my personal story is just as intriguing and suspenseful as my debut novel. I was born the second of four children in West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I spent most of my youth in and out of foster homes and juvenile detention centers. Deep inside I always knew I would be accomplished, especially after I was chosen to be in a documentary for the Boys Village of Maryland, a youth facility of the Maryland State Department of Juvenile Services. During my twenties, I was reunited with my father. This is where many of the wise quotes and old school sayings for my novels are derived.

Unfortunately, I continued to run the streets and am paying the price now by serving time at the Georgia Department of Corrections in Atlanta, Georgia. Ironically, this resulted in my discovering a new career in writing. Initially, when I sat down to write, I found it difficult to stay focused. I shifted my priority to mentoring young men, who were coming into the system, about not taking the same path that I took when I was their age. I was shocked by their interest in the wisdom I was sharing with them and was encouraged by them to complete my novels. With a renewed passion, I started to write again. I have since dedicated my life to be an inspiration to others, particularly to those who are incarcerated, that it is never too late to achieve career goals and turn things around in order to make a positive impact on society.

SORMAG: Tell us about your current book?



WEEKS:
The Street Life Series is a collection of Urban Fiction novels. My debut novel is The Street Life Series: Is It Suicide or Murder? The book depicts the decisions a young man, Teco Jackson, has to face every day as he lives the street life. There is a quote I agree with: “For every action, there is a reaction.” As the characters come alive in the story, the reader is right there with Teco as he chooses which paths in life to take. Until one day, his boss, whom he trusts the most, is found missing. Now what does he do? He does what his immediate instinct tells him to do. Find who did it and pay back whoever snatched up his boss in a way that no one could imagine. Readers become so engaged that they no doubt wish they could personally tell Teco which suspects to speak with or which ones to leave alone. It’s the journey with Teco that is so fascinating.

SORMAG: What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

WEEKS:
An avid Urban Fiction reader told me that my book is the first Urban Fiction book to give it to the readers “raw and uncut.” I don’t glamorize the street life. I want readers to have a better understanding of a “Teco or GQ”, who are the main characters.

SORMAG: What do you do to make time for yourself?

WEEKS:
I pull out my headsets and listen to music or turn on the radio and listen to the talk shows on PBS.

SORMAG: Do you do anything to promote Black History Month?

WEEKS:
If you look at my website you will see my Black History slogan, “Celebrating Black History All Year Long.” I appreciate what our forefathers have contributed to the world and we shouldn’t wait until February to celebrate. I am promoting the AMAG intern program, which teaches our youth graphic design, web design, marketing, reporting, journalism, and public relations. If I can help one young person be the next W.E.B. Dubois, then I feel I have helped to advance Black History. To make a contribution or donation to AMAG, go to website: http://www.awarenessmagazine.net/authorintern.html

SORMAG: How did it feel to hold your first book?

WEEKS:
This was a major accomplishment for me. I felt like I was holding a new future.

SORMAG: What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

WEEKS:
I love developing the story and witnessing the characters coming to life. However, I hate when I get a mental block. That’s when I know it’s time to get some rest and start anew tomorrow.

SORMAG: What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

WEEKS:
I wish I understood the value of using Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feeds for Press Releases earlier in marketing my book. The money I initially spent using fax services for Press Releases, I would redirect that budget funding to use RSS feeds instead.

SORMAG: What was the last book to keep you up at night reading it?

WEEKS:
My lady kept telling me about her favorite book of all times called Adams Fall by Sandra Brown. I really wasn’t excited about reading it. However, she was relentless and bought me the book. I couldn’t put the novel down. (laughing)

SORMAG: How can readers get in contact with you?

WEEKS:
Mail:
Kevin M. Weeks
3961 Floyd Road
Suite 300 PMB 178
Austell, GA 30106

Email: info@thestreetlifeseries.com

Website: www.thestreetlifeseries.com

1 comment:

PatriciaW said...

Very interesting. I wish you much success.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!