Monday, January 28, 2008

FEATURED AUTHOR: Francis Ray


Francis Ray is a National Best-Selling author of 37 books. Ms. Ray, a graduate of Texas Woman's University with a degree in Nursing, lives in Texas with her husband.

NOT EVEN IF YOU BEGGED

Widow Traci Evans sits in on meetings with the lovely widows of the Invincible Sisterhood because for a little while she can feel as if she belongs. However, unlike the rest of the women in the Sisterhood, Traci's husband died while cheating on her. She had no intention of letting another man cheat on her - until a playful kiss with the gorgeous doctors turns hot.

Website address: http://www.francisray.com/



What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

That life often knocks you down flat, when it does, get up, dust yourself off and live the live you were meant to live.

What did you learn while writing this book?

That friendship, real friendship, is priceless. Real friends don't tell you what you want to hear, they tell you the truth.

Do you ever have a hard time letting go of a character after the novel is finished?

Sometimes, but I think about them in a positive way and about their courage to fight against the odds and win, just as Traci and Maureen do in NOT EVEN IF YOU BEGGED.

What do you feel is the key to writing convincing characters?

Characterization, I feel, is the key. Readers must care about the character and empathizes with them. If the reader doesn't care they won't pick up the next book or "wonder and worry" about them.

Why did you choose to write in the romance genre?

I became hooked on romance after reading SHANNA by Katherine Woodiwiss. I liked that the couple were monogamous despite the many problems they had. That's what true love is, the ability to work through problems because you can't imagine life without the other. You won't even think of being unfaithful.

What is the hardest part about the writing business?

The hardest part to me is writing the story. I struggle with each book, and the struggles are not becoming any easier. I want to give the reader the best possible story, for them to lose themselves for a few hours, and at the final page come away with something tangible about life.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That writers are people and that we write the best story that we can. We can take criticism, but do it in a constructive way. Please don't chose a public forum to trash a book. Think, will this help or hurt?

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

Unfortunately, I haven't done much marketing, but I plan to change that. With the last 3 books, IN ANOTHER MAN'S BED, ONLY YOU, and NOT EVEN IF YOU BEGGED, I've done book trailers. I can't say if that helped or not. I do plan to branch out a bit. SORMAG is a new venture for me.

Name your top five favorite writing books.

Techniques of the Selling Writer, and Characters by Dwight Swain

Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maas,

Writing Dialogue by Tom Chiarella, and Getting the Words Right by T.A. Cheney.

Do you do anything to promote family literacy?

I support and donate books to the Friends of the Library and my local library.

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!