Friday, February 01, 2008

SORMAG Tours- Nathasha Brook-Harris


Nathasha Brooks-Harris is the co-author of the Kimani Books (Harlequin Books) anthology, Can I Get An Amen Again, for which she developed the concept. It is the sequel to the ever-popular, Can I Get An Amen. In addition, she currently has a short story in the anthology, Erogenous Zone, and an essay in Gumbo For The Soul anthology. Her debut novel, Panache, earned her an Emma Award as Best New Author in 2002. She is the former editor of Black Romance and Bronze Thrills Magazine and the Associate Editor of True Confessions Magazine at Dorchester Media, and she edits independently under her company, NBH Literary Services. She is also a Contributing Editor at Today's Black Woman Magazine and freelances for several other publications. In her spare time, this Brooklyn-born and bred author and editor creates cloth dolls and quilts under her recently-created Studio 447.

Can I Get An Amen Again?

When Dr. Gabrielle Talbot arrives in Red Oaks, Georgia, the last thing she has on her mind is romance--that is until she meets Marcus Danforth. But will he break her heart like her ex-fiance, or will he find a way to win her trust? From Nathasha Brooks-Harris's "A Change is Gonna Come" in the anthology Can I Get An Amen Again?



What led you to the idea of writing this book, and then to the actual writing of it?

I didn’t really know what I was going to write about, but then I heard a very strong voice in my head telling me to write about forgiveness. I know that was the voice of God leading me in that direction. Everything in this book came as a result of what He led me to write. Someone who would eventually read this book needed to know about forgiveness. There was a message in the book for someone. It was a difficult book to write because I was having my own personal issues with forgiveness. A family member did something terrible and I had to deal with forgiving him. In other words, I had to practice what I was preaching in my book. Time went on, I did the necessary intervention to save his life and make him pay for his crime, but in time, I was able to forgive him. Writing this book helped me a lot because I had to read what the Bible said on forgiveness. As I was reading, those verses got into my spirit, and I knew that I had to let my anger go. So I did and I am happy to say that he is doing well and has reunited with his family.

What are three things you wish you'd known before you reached where you are now?

1. That everyone who reads your book might not like it.
2. That writing the book is hard enough, but promoting it is even harder.
3. That readers are VERY tough critics, so as an author, I have to stay on my toes and do my homework. If not, there will be one reader who knows a lot about many things, and that’s just the one to call you on a mistake!

What is a favorite book from your childhood?

One of my favorite childhood books is The Uncle Remus Stories (Brer Rabbit).
What was the last book to keep you up at night reading it?
One of the last books to keep me up at night was Winds Of The Storm by Beverly Jenkins. I loved it. Meeting Dix Wildhorse did it for me! Every time I opened my door, I expected to see a tall fine man wearing a Stetson and a topaz stud in his ear! I was so intrigued that I rushed out to buy Topazeso I could read his story!

What was the last movie you saw?

The last movie I saw was This Christmas.
What's your secret to balancing career and family?
When I still had family around, I did what I had to do, but I explained my writing, and I’d disappear for a few hours to do it. I usually went to my writer’s residency where I could get quality writing time in without any interruptions. When they saw I was serious, they took it seriously as well.

What do you do to make time for yourself?

I make cloth dolls and quilts. I reward myself with going to various conferences and events related to those things. What began as a hobby has become an avocation, and I’m now exhibiting my work in museums and other exhibitions.

What’s the most interesting change in your life as a result of being a published author?

I find that I am getting a different level of respect. That feels nice. I welcome respect in any form. It cracked me up when a friend of mine called me a “celebrity” because he Googled me and found many hits. I don’t mind being a “celebrity” if it will get me a better table at a good restaurant, or a first class seat on a plane for a coach ticket, or a substantial savings when I shop, or a cheaper mortgage. In reality, I tell people that I am the same as them: I put my pants or dress on the same way, and visit the throne every so often just as they do. I am no different! I still like to go out with my friends and have a good time, cut the fool on the phone when talking about girlie-girlie stuff, and laugh every chance I can get. None of that has changed. The only difference is that I am now a published author!

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Readers can contact me at:
Nathasha Brooks-Harris
P.O. Box 150232
Brooklyn, NY 11215-0232
Or by e-mail at: nabrooks@aol.com or writernbh@yahoo.com.

My website is currently under construction at http://www.nathashabrooksharris.com/. It will be live very soon.

I love to hear from readers and fans. Please do contact me.

Thank you for the opportunity to speak to you via this book tour. Thanks for taking the time to read this and learn more about me and my writing. Be blessed and always remember: “To whom much is given, much is required!”

TOUR DATES


JANUARY 28

JANUARY 29

2 comments:

bettye griffin said...

Hi Nathasha,
Just wanted to say hello and wish you continued success.

Bettye Griffin

Anonymous said...

Hi Nathasha,
I met you here inCHarlotte,NC a few years ago when I purchased and you autographed your book "Panache". Loved it, still have it on my keeper shelf. I wish you much more success in the future. Patsy Nelson

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!