Thursday, June 18, 2009

FEATURED AUTHOR: Joey Pinkney


Joey Pinkney writes book reviews and conducts author interviews for his website http://joeypinkney. His book reviews have been featured on Urban Book Source as well as C&B Books Distribution's website. Joey Pinkney's "5 Minutes, 5 Questions With..." author interview series has seen the likes of both New York Times and Essence Best Selling authors as well as newly published writers.

The Soul of a Man Anthology:

About "Like Father, Like Son":

Joey Pinkney's contribution to The Soul of a Man Anthology is the short story "Like Father, Like Son". Follow Terrence Greene as he struggles to remain faithful to his wife. His problem is far from sexual frustration. Terrence's step-son Andre is a momma's boy with a criminal streak that will soon put a rift between Terrence and his bride Mary. Will Andre's behavior continue to be supported by his mother? Or will Terrence convince Mary that the best plan of action is to let the delinquent 17 year old go to the street to preserve their marriage? Witness all three characters getting their spiritual fortitude pushed to the limits.


What would you like readers to take away from your book?

I wanted to give the readers a Christian family that is atypical to what they read in most Christian fiction. This is a family that can't quote every scripture, but they have their own way of staying connected with God. Mary loves the church environment, yet Terrence approaches Christianity spiritually instead of mechanically. I also wanted to challenge what is considered to be standard protocol in the church.

I want the reader to ponder the question: How should you handle a teenager that will absolutely not respect the step-parent? Terrence is hard pressed to find the happy medium between loving his wife and handling the criminal and disrespectful ways of his step-son. He can turn the other cheek only so much...

Why did you choose to write this book?

I wrote "Like Father, Like Son" because the characters would not let me rest until I put them on paper. "Like Father, Like Son" started out being partially biographical. When I started writing "Like Father, Like Son", Terrence, Mary and Andre took a life of their own and became more than the characters I sketched in my head. This story is a challenge to the Christian status quo. Let's just say, I didn't want everything to be "comfortable". You have to read it to see why I say this.

I had most of the story worked out in my head by the time Elissa approached me about being a contributor to The Soul of a Man Anthology. She gave me a perfect reason to stop procrastinating and get the story in physical form. Thank you so much for this opportunity Elissa Gabrielle and Peace in the Storm Publishing.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that it's hard to write and think critically about every aspect of the story. I had to step back a couple of times and tell myself to write the story instead of edit what had been written. I also learned how much of an effect of reading a bunch of great books over the last couple of years had on writing from a reader's standpoint.

I also learned that character's personalities and actions can take a totally different path from what you hold to be true in your heart. There can be some things in your story that your characters do that you would do or support personally.

What was your favorite scene/chapter from the book?

My favorite scene in "Like Father, Like Son" is Terrence waking up and is being able to predict which fork and bowl Mary is using to make the scrambled eggs. The way that motif was incorporated into the story was so classic to me. That's one of my favorite aspects of the book besides the amount of poetry I infused into the narration of the story.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Writing a story of any length requires a lot of time and mental energy. There some people who make it look easy, and there are others who do a terrible job at it. Writing and getting published takes an amount of professionalism to get the job done even when you are not feeling "inspired". That's why you have so my people who say, "I got so many stories." They say that because they don't have the desire to put the work in. When you read an author's novel

What is the best lesson you have learned from another writer?

All of the successful writers have a common thread if we define success in terms of dollar signs. They work as hard if not harder at promoting their books as they do at writing the books.

What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?

Writing when my wife and children want me to be with them. I'm not a recluse. Well...not a total recluse. I've been in a situation where I'm in a perfect writing zone, but my family wants me to hang out with them. To write or not to write; that is the question...

What is something readers would be surprised you do?

I am a chocoholic. If I get a bag of of chocolate, I can't stop until the bag is finished. I'm close friends with D Pain (tm)

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

1) Start now. Don't wait for perfect time. There is no perfect time. 2) A young child is such a blessing. 3) Promotion is key to being successful in the book industry.

How do you reach new readers?

Facebook, myspace, twitter and Sormag.

If you could have dinner with 3 authors to talk with about their writing (living or deceased) who would you invite and why?

Mari Walker because she's my favorite author. Moses Miller because of his genius level of intelligence. Robert Kiyosaki because I want to be a rich dad instead of a poor dad.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Don't wait. Do put some time in thinking about how to market your book.

How can readers get in contact with you?

Websites: http://joeypinkney.com
(for author interviews and book reviews) and http://joeyisinit.com (for autographed copies of The Soul of a Man Anthology)

Email: joey.pinkney@gmail.com

Our theme for this month is REACHING YOUR GOALS. What steps should a writer take to reach their goals?

Writers should study their craft and be prepared to get their goals accomplished even when they don't feel like it.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

I'm working on the continuation of "Like Father, Like Son" for Jarold Imes' Broken But I'm Healed anthology for his Our Teen Voices series. I'm looking forward for this next story for a couple of different reasons. Jarold Imes' short story "I Used to Love Her" is also in The Soul of a Man Anthology. We both live in the North Carolina, so we can promote the anthologies in conjunction with eachother. The next story is going to be read from Andre's perspective, and we'll get to see what makes him tick. Andre was an antagonist of sorts in "Like Father, Like Son". In the next story, which is untitled at the moment, I'm wondering if he will continue to be "the bad guy" or will he get back on the right path.

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!