Friday, July 24, 2009

FEATURED AUTHOR: S.D. Denny


S.D. Denny began writing poetry and short stories at an early age to escape the harsh realities she faced while growing up in a Brooklyn housing project. On her journey to becoming a published author, she has written and edited training material for national organizations and volunteered as a journalist for a church magazine. In addition to her debut novel, The Baker’s Dozen, she is the author of an erotic anthology, and the forthcoming novel, Half, which is scheduled for release in 2010. She currently lives in Charlotte, North Carolina with her two sons. You can visit the author on her website at www.sddenny.com.

The Baker’s Dozen

Breanna Baker felt as though her life was under control as long as she was in control of her life, but the moment she makes the startling discovery that she’s five weeks pregnant, things start to spin out of control for sure. To add fuel to the fire already burning in her life, her grandmother passes away and she returns home where she’s compelled to turn her attention to issues other than her untimely pregnancy. Breanna feels obligated to save everyone from themselves, but when she uncovers the dark secret that had been hidden by her family for years, she is forced to face herself in the mirror to discover a truth that must be reckoned with before she can go any further in her life.
 
 
What would you like readers to take away from your book?

Too often we become paralyzed and stagnated in life by our fears. I’d like readers to walk away knowing that sometimes it takes a confrontation with your greatest fears before you come to discover that they’re not so powerful after all.

Why did you choose to write this book?

I wanted to write an inspiring story which demonstrates that no matter what you’ve been through in your life, there’s always hope for a brighter tomorrow. The main character, Breanna, is like many other women who have taken on so many roles in her life that she neglects some of the things that need nurturing the most. Breanna’s story will leave you feeling renewed and possibly ready to face some challenges of your own.

What did you learn while writing this book?

From my research, I learned a great deal about depression and denial, and how they can both have a tremendous, trickling affect on our lives. Writing this story has also forced me to take a long look in the mirror at my self, and as a result, I’ve accepted that there are some things I need to work on.

What was your favorite scene/chapter from the book?

My favorite scene took place in the chapter where Breanna learned of a secret her family had been keeping. Her reaction and the conversation leading up to it were the highlight for me. That scene, in addition to the scene where she comes face to face with one of her greatest fears, is my favorite part of the book.
 
What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

I wish they could understand that you can be as creative as your mind will allow you to be. Not everything has to be about you or someone you know. A writer’s mind, that is free, is a mind with infinite capabilities.

What is the best lesson you have learned from another writer?

I’ve learned that the value of a good editor cannot be measured. It’s a step that must not be skipped over in the process. I believe editing can greatly influence your credibility as a writer to those who read your work.

What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?

Managing the job of being a single mother with writing deadlines has been challenging, but the passion I have for both pushes me to my limits.

What is something readers would be surprised you do?

Readers would be surprised that I’m a closet singer. I can sing, but I am much too shy to sing in front of an audience.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

There’s a lot more foot work involved in publishing and marketing a book than I imagined.

Organizing your information as you acquire it will cut down on a great deal of time you spend searching for it later.

There are many opportunities outside your local area, and having a travel budget would enable you to take advantage of those opportunities.

How do you reach new readers?

I strike up conversations and hand out postcards or flyers about my book to strangers at the mall, book stores, grocery stores, gas stations, anywhere! I try to make it a point to carry marketing material at all times.

If you could have dinner with 3 authors to talk with about their writing (living or deceased) who would you invite and why?

Stephen King - I’m a die hard sci-fi and horror fan and think he’s the most creative storyteller I’ve ever read.

Toni Morrison - I find her to have the most intriguing writing style.

Mitch Albom - I’d like to pick his brain about how he came up with the idea to write Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do set aside time to write because there’s always something "else" that needs to be done. Writing has to be a priority if you plan to get anywhere.

Don’t be discouraged by nay sayers, and take every opportunity to grow and perfect your craft.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

I can be reached by email at sddenny2003@yahoo.com or on the following sites:




http://www.sddenny.com/


http://www.myspace.com/sdd4life


http://www.facebook.com/sddenny


http://www.twitter.com/sddenny


Our theme for this month is AGENT HUNTING.  Do you have any advice on finding a good agent?

When I’m looking for any type of service provider, I like to see a portfolio of their work. I believe a literary agent should have a verifiable track record of book sales, and be willing to disclose it if asked. If they aren’t able to disclose it, you may want to continue your search.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next novel, entitled HALF, is about a bi-racial woman’s struggle through life to find her identity. My goal is to pull my readers into her life so they can experience the struggle with her and see life through her eyes. It will be released in 2010.

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!