Friday, January 15, 2010

FEATURED AUTHOR: Theresa Stillwagon


Theresa Stillwagon has been writing most of her life. Since one of her teachers praised a poem she wrote for a class assignment, she’s been putting words together in the hopes of seeing them in print. Not caring if anyone other than herself ever read them. Her dream came to reality last year when she signed her first writing contract.

A former resident of the state of Ohio, Theresa now lives in a RV and travels between Savannah, Georgia and the Midwest states with her husband of twenty-seven years, Mike, and her two cats, Fred and Barney. She works in different campgrounds during the summer months, but writes all year round.

What would you like readers to take away from your book?

You don’t need to be ashamed of your past. Kate was at one time a well-known actress who was cast in only sexy roles. She was a good actress but no one gave her a chance to show it. Since giving up on acting, she’s been hiding from her past. She sees herself as two different people instead of a one. Only after she meets Matt and his mother does she begin to see this.

Why did you choose to write this book?

One of the first scenes with the hero/heroine together was a dream. I couldn’t get it out of my head, so I had to start and finish it. I dream many of my more intense scenes.

What did you learn while writing this book?

That finishing the first draft is only the beginning.

What was your favorite scene/chapter from the book?

I liked the scene where Matt finds Kate hiding in his mother’s house. It shows the beginning of desire between them and the conflict.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Just because you’re home most of the time doesn’t mean you’re not busy. My best writing gets done when I’m alone with the TV off and no one interrupting me.

What is the best lesson you have learned from another writer?

It’s important to read books like the ones you’d like to write. And to always write.
What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?

I once had a book at a publisher for eight or nine months that I believed would be picked up by them. I believed I’d finally made it into the ranks of published author. I received a very short rejection letter a saying ‘So sorry.’ A few other sentences and paragraphs were added to the letter but all I remember is ‘so sorry’. I gave up writing for years after this rejection letter. I didn’t start writing again until I took a romance writing course and realized all I’ve ever wanted to do was write. For years I’d been incomplete because I’d stopped writing. I’ve been writing ever since.

What was the best advice you’d ever gotten about the publishing industry? The worst?

The best—just because one editor/publisher doesn’t like your work doesn’t mean all of them will dislike it.

The worst—if you want to see your book in print maybe you should pay for it. (A vanity press sent me letters and postcards for about a year claiming this was the way for me to go.)

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do—find a good critique partner or group, and develop a thick skin.

Don’t—ever stop writing. The only way to get better is by doing.

I borrowed this question from Author Carleene Brice, What is your author fantasy?

To sell every book I write to the first publisher I send it to.

What is something readers would be surprised you do?

I live and work in an RV. Wintering up in GA and working in the Midwest during the summer months.

Our theme for this month is Family Literacy. Can you recommend three books for children?

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
A Poky Little Puppy
3:16-The Code for Your Life:Elementary Edition by Max Lucado


Oprah has--as one of her magazine columns--a section where she talks about what she knows for sure. What do you know for sure?

Just because you sell one book doesn’t necessary mean you’ll sell the next one. My editor at TWRP turned down two. The second one was picked up by Whispers.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next book is another sexy contemporary called A Betrayal of Friendship due out Jan. 22, 2010 with Whispers Publishing. http://www.whispershome.com/


"You never wanted to touch me before.”

“You’re wrong.” Before Mace could silence the words, he added, “I’ve always wanted you.”

“But you hate me.”

He needed to stop this now. He needed to force the conversation to different ground, safer ground. If she ever found out the true reason he’d left her two years ago, only weeks after his brother’s funeral, she’d never be able to forgive him.

“Tell me the truth,” a tentative hand landed on his arm. “I need to know that truth.”

No, the truth is the last thing you need.

“Mace?”

He needed to change the subject—and quickly. The plane! “Pam was right.”
Charlene’s back went rigid at the female name.
“She told me and Billy you crashed the plane.” He ignored her astonished look and bent down to stare at the dented wing tip. “Looks like I’ve a mess to fix up here.”
Her temper flared. “No, Hamilton, I have a mess to fix not you.”
“You?” He was being unfair, and he knew it, but he needed to stop her tears. If she cried, he’d be lost. He hadn’t return to Kodiak after all this time just to get her to cry. He wanted her smile. Anger would do. “Yeah, right, like a woman can fix this,” placing his hand on the damaged wing, “good enough to fly it back to Kodiak.”
“Why you—” She smothered her harsh words. “I can’t talk to you now.” She glared at him before she turned and raced toward the safety of the clinic.
At least the hint of tears had left her eyes, replaced by more violent emotions.
Unfortunately, even filled with that McIntire exasperation, the woman affected him way too much.
Mason was in deep trouble.


How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

theresastillwagon@yahoo.com
http://www.theresastillwagon.webs.com



Ex-actress Kate Williams only wants to visit with her friend to discuss a possible acting role in a new television series. High powered executive, Matthew Hunter, thinks she’s in town for more than just a discussion. He thinks she’s the newest means the show’s producers decided to use against him. He’d already said no once to their offer of backing the new series. But this time their plan might work. After all, at one time he had been half in love with the former actress.

Matt thinks all Kate wants from him is his money.
Kate thinks all Matt wants from her is her body.

This is a story of two mistrusting, closed people trying to find love and warmth again in their lives.

Pick up a copy TODAY

6 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Theresa,

Thanks so much for being our featured author today. I was a huge fan of the Little House books. It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out the books were fictional based on her life. Your dad was right.

Anonymous said...

LaShaunda,
Thanks for giving me the opportunity. This is a lovely blog, and I've found a few interesting books I plan on getting.

Chicki Brown said...

Hey Theresa,

It's Denise. It's been a long time since we worked together, but I'm so happy that your book is out there!

The advice you gave to aspiring authors is right on point.

I wish you the best and many more books to come.

J Hali Steele said...

Hi Theresa,

I've got your book in my TBR pile and can't wait to read it.

Nice interview. I agree wholeheartedly about a good crit partner or group.

Joann

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn) said...

Great interview, Theresa!

I remember when you'd started this book. Glad to see it coming out now!

Best of luck and keep on moving forward!

Hugs

Enid Wilson said...

Your commitment to writing is inspirational, Theresa. I've to overcome this writing block which is interfering with my writing lately.

Really Angelic

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!