Monday, July 26, 2010

FEATURED AUTHOR: A.C. Arthur


Krystal Bentley is an outsider at her new high school, having just moved to a small Connecticut town. Lately she's been hearing the voice of a teenage boy in her head, and he has become her friend and confidant. The only problem is, he's dead...

Ricky Watson was killed a year ago in the alley behind Krystal's new school. The rumor mill is filled with stories of Ricky and his untimely death. Unfortunately, as a ghost, Ricky is unable to investigate his own murder, so Ricky needs Krystal to find the truth and she needs someone to listen. When Krystal befriends Sasha and Jake, both outcasts at her high school, the threesome soon discover that they have more in common than their outsider status. Each has a unique paranormal ability and an unusual birthmark in the shape of an "M." Jake announces that the M must stand for misfits, and so the three form an unusual clique. They soon realize that solving Ricky's murder can help them understand the mystery behind their powers and may reveal whether there are others just like them.

A.C. Arthur


I am the first born and only girl in my family, and six and nine years separate me and my two brothers. Needless to say, I was alone quite a bit. But being alone gave me plenty of time to indulge my imagination in the world of books. One of the first novels I read was a young adult series that traced the lives of two teenagers in high school, Sweet Valley High. Reading those novels I thought I could do better, and so my quest to write entertaining stories began.

Being an introvert, it took me a long time to feel comfortable enough to let others read my work. How long? Well, the first person to read a story I wrote was my husband. Since then, I’ve been writing professionally for almost nine years now. But it was my daughter who encouraged me to write a book for teens—just one of the reasons I love her so dearly.

I live in Maryland with my husband and three children. If you take away the opinionated teenagers, family drama, overflowing bookshelves and DVDs, my life is pretty boring. But don’t take those things away, since they’re my inspiration.

I love to hear from readers and can be contacted at yabyartist@yahoo.com

How did you start out your writing career?

Reading. It is my love of reading that made me want to write. In the 10th grade, I won a writing contest and was simply amazed that somebody liked what I wrote. From that point on I began writing stories and plays.

What did you learn while writing this book?

Great question. I learned that no matter how old you get, there’s still a teenager somewhere inside. As I wrote characters walking down the halls at school I’d think about my school days and a lot of things that I’d gone through during that time. It was enlightening and gave me a new outlook on how I deal with my teenagers.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

What I really wanted was to write a book about teenagers, for teenagers. I’ve read a lot of books labeled YA in the past year or so and what I repeatedly find are adult plotlines and characters that are a lot growner than they should be. Now, don’t get me wrong I know my share of too-grown teenagers, but that’s exactly what I didn’t want to write. I recognize that teens today are growing up in varied situations with some extreme and/or disturbing circumstances, but for my story I aimed for escapism and entertainment with just enough drama to keep it realistic.

What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?

Not getting caught up in the hype. It’s easy to say that I’m a writer and I’m selling books so I’m above helping the apsiring author, or answering a question or emails. It’s easy to lose sight of why you write and who you write for. The hard part is taking a stand and keeping your focus.

If you had the opportunity to talk with three writers, who would you choose and why?


Wow, I’ve never really thought about this. I think absolutely Bernice McFadden and Pearl Cleage, both extremely talented literary authors who capture me with their style as well as their stories. And Nora Roberts because she’s always been my favorite romance author.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

How to find a good agent.
The value of good editors and agents.
That writing is not an easy job.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

DO be tenacious. Write. Revise. Take Rejection. And write some more.


DON’T get it twisted. This is a job. If you want it, committ to it and do what needs to be done.


I borrowed this question from Author Carleene Brice, What is your author fantasy?

At one point, a few years ago, my fantasy was to have a best-seller and to have that best-seller made into a movie. Today, after tremendous ups and downs in my writing and personal life, I’m just happy everytime a book hits the shelves and subsequently leaves the shelves in a happy reader’s hand.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That it’s serious business. We’re not just playing on the computer. We do have very real deadlines and sometimes words don’t just flow from our minds to the computer keys.

What was the best advice you’d ever gotten about the publishing industry? The worst?

The best was to be patient, nothing in the literary industry happens over night.
The worst was that you’d become rich after you signed your first contract.

If you could visit any place in the world where would you travel to?

Italy or Ireland. I’ve read so much about them I just can’t wait to see them for myself.

What is something readers would be surprised you do?

Watch old black and white movies.

Our theme for this month is Agent Hunting? What advice would you give someone searching for the right agent?

Do your research and interview each agent as if they were applying for a job, because they are. If you have a bad feeling about an agent, don’t hire that one. A good agent is worth his or her weight in gold.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

That Jesus loves me.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

Mystify is the sequel to Manifest in which Sasha, Jake and Krystal are now facing an even darker source of evil than they originally anticipated, all while Sasha’s falling in love with a guy who’s totally wrong for her.
Release Date: Feb 2011

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

yabyartist@yahoo.com
http://www.artistarthurbooks.com/


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

7 comments:

LaShaunda said...

A.C. thanks so much for being our featured author today. I'm so looking forward to reading your book.

This year I've been reading a lot of young adult books. A few are a little older for that age group, but a few I wish they had when I was that age.

Many blessings to you,

LaShaunda

'Cilla said...

Thanks LaShaunda for a great interview and AC for being soo open. I haven't read many YA books but I am looking forward to reading this one... :-)

Sean D. Young said...

Excellent interview as usual Shaunda. Congratulations to AC for all her hard work is paying off. I loved AC's answer to what she knew for sure. Continued blessings to you both. God is truly good to us all!!

AC said...

Thanks Ladies!
I'm just blessed to be able to do what I love.

Donna Cummings said...

A.C., this sounds like a great story, and I can't wait to read it. Your advice is also great. Thanks for sharing!

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Great interview, ladies! I'm so happy for you and excited about this new journey in your writing career, AC! Congratulations!

bettye griffin said...

Continued success to you, AC! And I love old B&W movies, too!

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!