Friday, November 19, 2010

FEATURED AUTHOR: Terrance Dean

Speaker, Educator, and author, Terrance Dean, is the author of the Essence Magazine best-seller Hiding In Hip Hop - On the Down Low in the Entertainment Industry from Music to Hollywood (Simon & Schuster/Atria Books - May 2008). He is also the author of Reclaim Your Power! A 30-Day Guide to Hope, Healing and Inspiration for Men of Color (Random House/Villard - May 2003). Dean also conceived the idea and concept for a tribute book, Visible Lives: Three Stories in Tribute to E. Lynn Harris, (Kensington – May 2010), for his dear friend and mentor, New York Times best-selling author, the late E. Lynn Harris. Dean’s most recent highly-anticipated advice book, Straight From Your Gay Best Friend – The Straight-Up Truth About Relationships, Work, and Having a Fabulous Life! has been released with Agate/Bolden Books in October 2010.

Dean has worked in the entertainment industry for over 15 years, from 1993 to 2008, with heavy hitters such as Spike Lee, Rob Reiner, Keenan Ivory Wayans, and Anjelica Houston. He has worked with television and film production companies such as B.E.T., Savoy Television, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, and Sony Pictures. Most recently, Dean worked with MTV Networks for over six years helping to produce live award shows and events including MTV Video Music Awards, Movie Awards, Hip Hop Honors, Rock Honors, Sports & Music Festival, and Choose or Lose.

Dean is also the founder/creator of Men’s Empowerment, Inc. It is an organization that is dedicated to the transformation of men of color in their communities for their own self-empowerment. The not-for-profit organization is a hugely popular empowerment group, which allows men of color to communicate, share and participate in an environment where brothers can “check their egos at the door” and create bonding relationships with one another.


STRAIGHT FROM YOUR GAY BEST FRIEND - The Straight Up Truth About Relationships, Work and Having A Fabulous Life!

In today’s society every woman needs a gay best friend—someone who gives it to her straight about life, clothes, sex, and relationships. From the inner city to suburbia, a gay best friend has become the new must-have for women.

Terrance Dean can be your new gay best friend. In Straight From Your Gay Best Friend he gives women terrific insights and advice on some of life’s most challenging issues—family, friends, career, love, sex, and intimate relationships. Dean offers direct and to-the-point perspectives, mixed with a little sass, wit, humor, forwardness, and spirituality, as only a gay man can do.

Dean also dedicates a chapter to the most controversial topic in the black community—down-low gay men. He writes, “I am often asked by women, ‘How can I tell if my man is on the down low?’ Or, ‘What are some signs I need to look out for so I do not end up in a relationship with a down-low man?’ This chapter will help women identify if the man they are in a relationship with or considering dating may be on the down low.”

This book will help women discover the power they need for a life of abundant success, prosperity, and happiness with loving relationships. It dispenses practical advice and tips on creating healthy relationships with themselves and any man they desire. And it’s all done from a place of love.

How did you start out your writing career?

My writing career began very early in life. I would keep journals and write everything that was happening in my life. I wanted to see the patterns in my life, where I was going, and the people involved. I was always looking for a spiritual evolution to who I was. I wanted to grow up and beyond what I knew.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that we are all children of God. We are divinely created for a greater purpose. I also learned that women are beautiful, divine, and spiritual creatures who need reminding of who they are. Despite where the information comes from, if it’s from a pure, honest, and truthful space, we can all benefit from a powerful message.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hope readers will walk away with a sense of empowerment and inspiration. Women are naturally powerful, fabulous, and intelligent. In my book, I only reinforce what they already know, and remind them of who they are. Sometimes we forget who we are and what we are here to do, especially when it comes to dealing with other people. My book is intended to provide women with some assistance on their journeys, remind them of their inheritance of what is good and true. I also want every woman to know that no matter what, no one can take away your true divine place in this world. You have a purpose, and your whole life and whatever you desire all depend on you recognizing your purpose.

Is the “writer’s life” what you thought it would be?

The writer’s life is everything I thought and hoped it would be. There is so much peace and happiness in knowing your purpose and discovering what you are meant to be doing. I love my life, the gift I have, and the ability to share my words, and voice with the world.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

I wish I’d known I can have it all. I don’t have to compromise. I can say ‘No!’

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Trust your voice, and what you write. It’s the source of life, and a gift from God. Don’t let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do, or write. And, don’t get caught up in the hype. Always be humble. Be grateful and thankful for your career, talent, and fans.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

I wish non-writers really understood that writing is an art, a talent. We need the support of our fans, and communities. The books are imprints of spiritual light left on this earth and will affect, and change people’s minds. It’s because of our unique experiences as people of color and diversity that varied stories exist, and we need to support one another.

What was the best advice you’d ever gotten about the publishing industry? The worst?

The best advice I received was from an editor who told me to write what I knew. That unleashed within me the ability to write stories, and be who I am. The worst advice was from an agent who told me that I couldn’t write fiction. She refused to read any of my fiction work, and told me to focus on non-fiction books. Needless to say, she was wrong!

What is something readers would be surprised you do?

Readers would be surprised to know that I love driving alone. Just me, my iPod (music), and observing God’s picturesque landscape across our country. I drive everywhere. I am not a big fan of flying.

Our theme this month is Men In Fiction. What male writer are you reading?

There are so many male writers I read – Fred Smith, Dominick Dunne, Iceberg Slim, Eric Jerome Dickey, E. Lynn Harris.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

What I know for sure is that God loves me. I know I have been blessed with the ability to be a writer and share words that touch, move, and inspire. I know to put no man before God, and I only trust Him. And, I know I have many more books in me.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next book is being released June 2011. It is called, MOGUL. It is my first full-length novel about an entertainment executive. It’s juicy, scandalous, and riveting!

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

People can email me at: hidinginhiphop@aol.com
Website: www.mrterrancedean.com
Blog: http://www.terrancedean.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @terrancedean
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/terrance.dean



If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!