Monday, April 25, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Kennisha Hill


Candid, real and refreshing are what some readers describe Kennisha's words. They couldn’t be more true. She is an author, speaker, and entrepreneur with a desire to pen words of both practical and biblical inspiration, through fiction and non-fiction books. She's the author of Uncovered, Awakened and Simply Wisdom: Empowerment for Your Purpose. Learn more by visiting her website at kennishahill.com.

How did you start out your writing career?

I have been writing stories since I was about five years old. After discovering my passion to reach people by sharing inspiring stories, I decided to pursue writing on a much higher level. After a push from my husband, I started blogging and then connected with other writers. I joined a few writing clubs, critique groups and ultimately decided to take that next step forward. It was one of the best and most fulfilling decisions I've ever made.

What did you learn while writing this book?

As a mother of three small children, I learned that it is possible to write, while maintaining a healthy balance with my family. I also learned the importance of perseverance. Though in this industry, it's possible to get lots of rejection as you seek publication, it's still very important to keep moving forward and not let that become a stumbling block.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

In all of my books, I write with a heart to deliver an inspiring message. In Uncovered, I wanted to bright to light the importance of real love and how it truly does cover a multitude of sins.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

Honestly, I had lots of fun writing Tamara's fiance', Kameron's, character! Here's a man who absolutely adores Tamara and really love's her in spite of her mess. I wanted to write a character to show women who may be in this situation that it is possible for a man to love who you are for better or for worse.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The amount of support that's out there, from readers and other writers. It blesses me to know that there are readers who are impacted by my stories, but I also appreciate the incredible support I get from other more experienced writers who send me a timely word of encouragement. Lots of love for writers out there!

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love creating the characters- I get to make them whoever I want them to be. Truthfully, I am terrible at marketing because a part of me feels so unworthy of any praise. A part of writing is putting yourself out there and most times I'm a backstage gal.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

1.That a good story doesn't need to be forced. It will unfold beautifully in time.

2.How crucial it is to maintain a healthy balance between writing and quality time with my family.

3.To get ready to put in lots of work! Once the book is written, the real work begins!!! :)

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do: Keep writing. Even if it's just in a journal everyday or a blog. The more you write, the better you become.

Don't be discouraged. God has equipped you with the ability to write something that needs to be said. Don't let rejections be the end of it all for you.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That writing books is different things to different people. It is more than just a hobby or an escape, for some.. Writing is a business, career and a ministry for others. As with any other career or art, having a great support system helps tremendously!

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Besides spending time with three littles one (ages 3, 1 and 8 weeks), I have a new found love of cooking. My husband and I love to watch "Chopped". We try to create our own unique dishes!

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I frequently post on Facebook, Twitter and I write weekly blog-post my "Refreshing Words for Women" blog.

Our theme for this month is Ebooks. Do you own an ereader and if so, what the last book you downloaded? If you don’t own an ereader, do you see yourself purchasing one in the future?

I do own an iPad where I have Kindle, Nook and iBooks apps. Love all of them! The last book I downloaded was "Love Unexpected" by Shelia Goss

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

Without a doubt, I know of God's goodness and faithfulness!

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

Yes! I'm currently working on two books. One is the next book following Uncovered entitled "Unspoken" and the other is a Novella called Marriage at War. Here is an short synopsis:

United States Marine Captain, Alonzo Rodriguez, is welcomed home from Afghanistan by his wife Carla, who has been anticipating his arrival for four years since their wedding night. Little did she know, her charming husband would return home a perfect stranger. With night terrors plaguing him, an alcohol addiction and moments of near insanity, Carla finds herself praying for her husband’s deliverance before her affections are placed elsewhere. Can she hold true to her wedding vows and love him for better or for worse?

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

I love to hear from readers! You can email me at authorkennisha@gmail.com or visit my website http://kennishahill.com/ or Facebook page at http://facebook.com/kennisha.hill

Uncovered


Genre: Christian Contemporary Fiction

In Awakened, Tamara sought redemption out of a life of pain and compromise through success and love. After a series of unfortunate events, Tamara moved back home, met NBA Player Kameron and fell in love. Yet, as Tamara tried to let go of her past with ex-boyfriend Benjamin and move on, she was suddenly reintroduced to Nyla, the daughter she and Benjamin placed for adoption after she was born. And with Benjamin giving her a job with the NSA, one she's always wanted, her past continues to follow her. Having never told Kameron about Nyla, she gave him a six month waiting period before agreeing to marry- hoping she would find a way out of this tangled web.

Uncovered begins on a cold and rainy Seattle morning, when the adoptive mother, Sarah, left Nyla shivering at Tamara's doorstep; forcing her new life into a tailspin.

Tamara must decide whether she is ready for another life-altering change that could affect her career and her relationship with Kameron. In a chilling court scene, to prove who’s the better pick for Nyla’s custody, Tamara puts up a fight and prays his love is strong enough to cover her multitude of sins.

Book Trailer




If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

2 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Kennisha,

Thank you so much for being our featured author today. I'm looking forward to reading your book.

Kennisha Hill said...

LaShaunda,

Thank you very much for having me as a guest on SORMAG today! I truly appreciate your support, sis! Thanks for being a blessing to so many authors!

Blessings to you,
Kennisha

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!