Friday, April 15, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Stacy-Deanne

Stacy-Deanne is an award-winning author of crime, mysteries and interracial romance novels. She’s been writing professionally for over thirteen years. Her first published book is the award-winning biography, “Divas of the New Millennium” (2005) followed by, “Everlasting” (2007) and “Melody” (2008). She is featured alongside other notable authors in the 2006 NAACP-nominated book, “Literary Divas: The Top 100+ African-American Women in Writing”. She was born, raised and resides in Houston, Texas.

How did you start out your writing career?

I started on a whim. I’d always loved writing but never thought of doing it as a career. When I was nineteen I got my first computer and I immediately began a story. I hadn’t planned to but it was as if something took over and I knew that’s what I wanted to do. I love writing and it truly makes me happy.

What did you learn while writing this book?

The main thing I like about writing crime and mysteries is the element of surprise and I brought out so many twists that I surprised myself. I learned that my level of suspense has intensified since my last novel and I’ll continue to grow with each future release.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I just hope to entertain. If this book can make someone’s day better or take readers away from stress or a hectic life and just give them a moment of peace then I’ve done my job.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

Man I loved writing about all of them! LOL! I’d say my favorite was Simon Watts because he is such a deep character. There are so many sides and layers to Simon. His personality keeps you guessing and he is such a passionate character. He’s mesmerizing and at times it was as if I hadn’t even created him.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

That I keep learning. Just when I think I know all there is to know about writing, I learn something new. I love that because it keeps me on my toes. Authors should always research and keep up with different techniques and ways to shake up their writing.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love writing the first draft. There’s nothing like meeting those characters or getting into that story like the very first time. It gives me a rush and is so exciting. I won’t say I hate editing, but it’s not my favorite part of the process. I’d love to just be able to spit out a first draft that was perfect but editing is a necessary evil. Editing our work is also how we become better writers.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

1. That life doesn’t change much after publication.
2. That the bulk of promotion is on the author’s shoulders.
3. That publication has its cons as well as its pros.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Don’t write strictly for fame and fortune. If you don’t love writing and have a deep down need to write, do something else. It has to be a feeling inside you that compels you to write because you love it and that should be your main reason starting off. There is nothing wrong with having goals but make sure they are realistic. Start off with small goals you can accomplish and go from there. Don’t start off immediately thinking about publication. Your first goal should be to write the best book you can. You have plenty of time to think of publication. Writing is a marathon not a race.

Do study how to write a publishable manuscript and the ins and outs of the publishing industry. You’ll be glad you did and it helps you stay a step ahead.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That being an author in real-life is not like the image they see of authors on television and movies. Some people think once a writer’s sold a couple of books they’re on their way to fame and fortune. It’s not like that and for those where it’s happened, those are rare exceptions. Most writers have regular jobs and do the same things they did before publication. I also hate that some people think anyone can write a book. Anyone might can string words together and “call” it a book but it takes hard work, determination, talent and patience to write a book that’s publishable.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

Dr. Henry Jekyll because he could step out of his normal life and experience things as Hyde he never had the courage to do. He might have done bad things but Hyde took him to a level that was already inside of him. He just had to let it out. I think it would be amazing if I could step out of who I am for a little while and do something I wouldn’t dare. Not murder or anything of course. LOL! Just something I’m too afraid to do as myself but always wanted to.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I’m a very solitary person and a homebody so I love to chill and be in my zone. I live inside my mind and I always retreat there whether I’m writing or not. LOL! So just relaxing and taking it easy is what I do between writing breaks.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I work the social networks and Facebook and that’s where I come in contact with readers. I am always online and I am very approachable when it comes to people. I don’t mind for fans or readers to reach out to me and I love picking readers’ brains and finding out what they like and don’t like about their reading choices.

Our theme for this month is Ebooks. Do you own an ereader and if so, what the last book you downloaded? If you don’t own an ereader, do you see yourself purchasing one in the future?

I LOVE ebooks! I am a big cheerleader for ebooks. I’ve had a Sony Reader since December 2009. I love it! Honestly I can’t recall the last book I downloaded because I download books in clumps. LOL! I download so many at a time but the last book that stood out was Delilah by Sheila M. Goss. I loved that book and it was one of the best books I read of 2010.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

That everything I’ve done and every choice I’ve made stands from fate.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?


How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

People can reach me by email through the contact page on my site: http://www.stacy-deanne.net/

They can also connect with me on many social networks. They can send me a request on Facebook and visit me below on Twitter.

http://www.twitter.com/stacydeanne

Publisher’s Site: http://www.peaceinthestormpublishing.com/

Giving up the Ghost (Book 1 in the Bree and Steven Series) will be released in print, Kindle and Nook. Look out for The Season of Sin, book two in the Bree and Steven Series!

Thanks so much for having me!

Giving up the Ghost

Albany Detective Brianna “Bree” Morris is having the year from hell. A sadistic admirer has been stalking her for months and now her friend Cheyenne Wilson has been beaten and left for dead.


With her ex-lover and faithful partner, Steven Kemp, Bree thrusts herself into the case. It’s not long before they believe two unrelated British men are connected to the attack. Michael is a womanizing artist with a ferocious appetite for rough sex. Simon is a wealthy free spirit looking for love in all the wrong places, but has one too many skeletons in his closet.

Bree struggles to determine fact from fiction when it comes to Michael and Simon but her attempts are blurred by Michael's manipulation and her sexual attraction to Simon, who Steven’s convinced cannot be trusted.

Meanwhile the stalker does everything in his power to get close to Bree and his obsession evokes a spiral of violence.

Bree must trust her heart to find answers but her heart leads her to the most dangerous man of all.


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!