Friday, June 10, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Candice Dow


Candice Dow is a native of Baltimore, MD and graduate of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore and Johns Hopkins University. Before becoming a full-time writer, she worked as a Senior Software Engineer. It was her lifelong dream to write a novel and after toying with the idea for over five years, Candice made a commitment to herself to finish, Caught in the Mix; a story she had sporadically worked on.

Shortly after, Candice retained a literary agent and within two months was offered a two-book deal from Kensington Publishing. In 2005, she stepped out on faith and quit her six-figure job, one month prior to the release of her debut novel, Caught in the Mix. In her subsequent novels, Ain’t No Sunshine, A Hire Love and Tappin’ On Thirty, Candice continues to tackle relatable topics and create intriguing characters with stories that speak to the soul.

How did you start out your writing career?

I’d always love to read and write, but after I graduated from college, I began working on my first novel, Caught in the Mix. Keyword is STARTED. I didn’t finish it for nearly six years and I tried the traditional route first. I luckily landed an agent and a publishing deal.

What did you learn while writing this book?

This is the first novel I wrote after becoming a mother. I learned that juggling motherhood and creativity is a serious challenge.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hope this book helps people to be less judgmental of women that chose an alternative career. I don’t believe that anyone can truly say never about anything.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

I really enjoyed writing William Thorne. He is extremely charming and can sell water to a fish.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

Readers actually emailing me to tell me they enjoyed my book. While I hoped they would, it touched me that they were compelled to send me a message. Even after seven novels, I am still flattered by this.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love coming up with the plot and character development. I hate deadlines.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

I can’t really come up with three, but I would cherish every moment instead of rushing to a new goal. Time flies so fast and within minutes you’re no longer a first time author.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Read authors you enjoy primarily to study their technique and why they’re writing is appealing to you. This way you can snag a mix of all of your favorite authors styles combined with your style to create compelling stories. As an unpublished writer, DON’T put in your query letter that you have written the best novel ever. You don’t want to come off as arrogant. Instead, make your brief synopsis intriguing enough that the editor or agent wants to take time to read it.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Writers often just pull stories and characters from the sky. Really most of my stories come from my wild imagination. I think non-writers assume the characters are either the writer or someone they know.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

I would be Pat in Trying to Sleep In the Bed You Made, by Virginia Deberry & Donna Grant

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I love spending time with family and girls’ night out with my longtime girlfriends.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

Social networking.

Our theme for this month is INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS. Have you ever considered self publishing your work? Why or Why not?

Yes, I have considered it, but I am a Software Engineer as well as a writer and I do not have the time necessary to be successful as an independent publisher.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know that I can do anything I put my mind to.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Email: candice@candicedow.com

OFF THE CHAIN

She’s fresh out of college, in major-league debt, and her shot at veterinary school just fell through. London Reed needs lots of cash fast, and when handsome tycoon William Thorne shows her just how to bend the rules, she finds that there’s not much difference between working with dogs and handling powerful alpha males. Soon London is sporting head-to-toe Dior, hitting the most exclusive A-list events, and giving her wealthy clients the uber-wild no-strings sex they’ve only dreamed about. But the cost of doing business is guilt, lies, betrayal, and an addiction to the high-end call girl life London can’t shake. As a new threat closes in, her clients’ most scandalous secrets—and London’s future—are put on the line. Her only way out is to discover what she truly wants . . . and that could be the most dangerous gamble of all.


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!