Monday, September 19, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Kim Cash Tate


Kim Cash Tate was born and raised in the Washington, D.C. area. After completing her undergraduate degree, she distinguished herself as a law student at George Washington University.

Tate’s law career took off, but in spite of her success, she was plagued by constant feelings of discontentment and loneliness for the racially diverse environment she left behind in D.C. She began seeking faith, simply as a means of maintaining sanity. But she and her husband Bill both felt Jesus calling.

When her children were young, Tate left her thriving law career to stay home. A passionate and persuasive communicator, she tried her hand at writing. More Christian than African-American shares her story of finding her identity in Christ rather than in her race, which had been a major focus for her. Her first novel was Heavenly Places, followed by Faithful and her newest release, Cherished. Tate was a speaker for Women of Faith in both 2010 and 2011.

Tate is also the founder of Colored in Christ Ministries. Her appeal as a Bible teacher and a “big sister” in ministry, as well as her messages of hope, is what attracts discerning fiction lovers worldwide. The Tate family now resides in the St. Louis area.

How did you start out your writing career?

My writing career actually started in nonfiction. I was on maternity leave with my firstborn, and thought I was praying about what kind of home based business to start. :) Instead, God moved me to write a memoir about my spiritual journey. More Christian than African-American was published in 1999. I never dreamed of writing fiction, but several years later, these characters showed up in my head along with a story line. I began writing, and that story became my first novel, Heavenly Places.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned a lot about compassion while writing Cherished. I had been praying for a heart of compassion for quite a while. But I noticed that as I started writing, I didn't have a whole lot of compassion for the character who had committed adultery with a married man. As the story continued, though, and I got to know her and her story, I grew to have a heart for her. Everybody has a story, and oftentimes, the pain in their past informs their present choices. I learned more about loving people with the love of God as I wrote.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hoped readers would walk away with a freeing picture of God's unconditional love for them, no matter where they've been or what they've done. I wanted them to know that God can still use them, that He wants to use them, as a marvelous trophy of His grace. I also hoped to shed light on the importance of forgiveness.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

I probably had the most fun writing about Brian, who's a Christian rapper in the book. I love Christian rap, and was able to spend time with a nationally known Christian rapper to gain information about the craft and the lifestyle. These young guys have such a heart for ministry, and I loved being able to inhabit that character for a while.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

That each book is it's own special baby. From the writing process to the cover design to holding the finished product in my hand...it never gets old!

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

The aspect of writing I love best is when I'm in the zone where I know that I know that I'm being inspired by God because words are flowing and fingers are flying. The aspect I like least is what's generally known as "writer's block." For me, it's the period in which I'm praying and waiting for the ideas I need for the plot or the characters, and I inevitably think, "This is it. I'm done writing because nothing is coming." That's no fun.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

1. how to write well and fast under a deadline -- before I was published, I had the luxury of pondering every plot thread and every aspect of every character as long as I desired; writing under deadline is more challenging.

2. how to juggle well -- I didn't realize I'd essentially be working on three books at one time...drafting a new manuscript, editing the just-completed manuscript, and promoting a newly released novel

3. how to market effectively

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Don't try to mimic another author's voice or style. Do write from the heart.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

I wish non-writers would understand the blood, sweat, and tears that go into writing. So often, I hear people say writing a novel is on their list of things to do one day....as if it's easy. I wish! :)

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

I would love to be Frodo. The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite books, and I love that this little hobbit from the Shire took on a huge task that could only be accomplished with faith, determination, and the fellowship of friends.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I love to watch movies with my husband and kids. The best Friday nights are popcorn and a DVD we've been waiting to watch.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I have a pretty active blog where I respond to everyone who comments. I love getting to know my readers and hanging out with them. I also actively interact with people on Twitter and on my Facebook page. And I reply to every email I receive.

Our theme for this month is Online Marketing. What online marketing have you found works well for you?

With Cherished, there's also a song by that name recorded by Christian rapper Da' T.R.U.T.H. and CeCe Winans. Da' T.R.U.T.H. and I did a trailer together to highlight the novel and the song, and posted it on youtube. That's been the best online marketing I've done.

This is SORMAG’s 11th Anniversary online. Would you like to offer us anniversary congrats?

Happy 11th Anniversary!!! How awesome to be blessed with such longevity in the online world!

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know for sure that Jesus is the Son of God and Savior of the world.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next book will feature a cast of characters based in a small town in North Carolina. But I'm right in the middle of praying through certain plot threads, so that's all I can say for now. :)

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

I'd love to hear from them! They can reach me the following ways:

http://www.kimcashtate.com/

http://www.facebook.com/kimcashtate

http://www.twitter.com/kimcashtate



CHERISHED

How can she believe God cherishes her when she can't forgive herself?

Kelli London once dreamed of being a songwriter. As crazy as it seemed, she hoped that God would use the lyrics that came to her while she slept. She dreamed about Brian too, that the love they shared would be a forever kind of love. But choices she'll forever regret upended her hope . . . and turned her dreams to dust. When those dreams come knocking once more, she's forced to deal with the pain of the past.

Heather Anderson's life has spun out of control-first, an affair with a married man, then a one-night stand with the drummer of a popular Christian band that left her devastated. Broken and alone, she cried out to the only One who can save her. And He did. But that's just the beginning, because now she must leave behind the only life she's ever known.

Two women with shame-filled pasts form an unlikely friendship. What does God's forgiveness look like for them? Will they ever believe that He loves them . . . and can still offer them a life where they are cherished?


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!