Friday, June 01, 2012

FEATURED AUTHOR: Deidra D. S.Green





Deidra D. S. Green is highly sought after as a lecturer, educator, and presenter. Her command of the podium, extensive knowledge base, and ability to effectively communicate, has both informed and captivated audiences. They leave challenged, inspired, and wanting more.

Deidra was born in E. St. Louis, IL to the proud parents of Robert W. and M. Catherine Smoot. She is the eldest of the three children; her younger sister Robyn Kaye has been resting with God since 1999. Her baby brother Patrick Schayne, is an educator, author, and a dynamic speaker. Deidra, her two children VcToryann and Kamerron, and her brother reside in Atlanta GA.

Deidra has continued her literary prowess as a freelance writer, literary coach, ghostwriter and professional editor, as well as authoring several books for all age groups. In 2009, she founded The Mahogany Writers Exchange, a writing group for adults interested in honing their writing craft. Other Works by Deidra include:

• From the Outside In (non-fiction, true crime)
• My Forever Airplane (children’s non-fiction)
• Smallest Superhero (Children’s fiction series)
• Smallest Superhero and the CBU (Children’s fiction series)
• Epiphanies While Driving (inspiration/motivation)
• Closet Issues: A Poet’s Journey into the Dark Places (prose/short stories)
• Wordsmithin’ (poetry)
• Twisted Sister (Adult fiction, first installment of Anthology of a Trick)

How did you start out your writing career?

As many authors have probably indicated, I have always written. Writing has always been respite for me and the place that I would go to express my emotions, whatever they may be. I have always used writing, whether scribbling in my journals jotting in my diary, as a way of connecting to my innermost self. Before 2006, all of the writing I had done was a private thing. After a heartfelt conversation with my younger brother, who told me I had a story to tell and I promptly dismissed, I asked the Creator if I was suppose to write seriously, He would give me an undeniable sign. I received confirmation in 2006 and have been writing for others to read every since.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that I have another voice that was previously untapped. Prior to this book, the majority of my work had been non-fiction, based on true stories and real life experiences. With this project, I let my imagination take me places I had never been before. It was an exciting time!

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

It is my hope that those who have enjoyed my previous work will stick with me into this new era of expression, and those who have not experienced my work will see what there is to offer.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

With Twisted Sister, the plot came first, and the character's soon followed. Most of my stories are idea or plot driven and I tend to craft the characters around the plot line. Sometimes when the characters emerge and develop they take what my previously conceived notions about the plot were and turn them upside down. That happened with this project. The characters took over and I let them.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The amount of work that must be done once the book is written. Writing the book is the easy part. It's everything that comes after that that can be time consuming and unexpected.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love the creative process from idea to "the end". There isn't anything about the writing that I don't like. If I am facing writer's block when writing in the narrative, I retreat to prose or poetry which is my first love. Writing for me is like breathing and without it, I would cease to be my authentic self. So everything about the writing is good. I have found that I do not like to promote. I know it is a necessary evil, but that is what I dislike most about the process.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

I wish I had known that writing was really my purpose. Knowing that, I would have began much earlier in my life in a public way. But the Creator's time is perfected time and the writing happened when it was suppose to. I don't know if there is anything else I had wished other than being able to write full time earlier.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do write every day. Regardless of whether you write part time or full time, write everyday - even if it is only for 15 minutes. Don't get discouraged. No matter the challenges, naysayers, struggles, disappointments, if you are passionate about the writing, then don't give up.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Writing for others is not an easy process. Those who are sincere about their craft and have a passion for the written word pour their heart and soul on the page. Understand that we are human, have feelings and do our level best to provide great stories.

Tell us something few know about you?

I was the first girl basketball player on the all boy's team at my Catholic elementary school.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Spending time with family is very important to me. So every chance I get, I spend time with my children and extended family. I am still an avid reader, so I like to read when I have free time.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I try to be as responsive as possible when interacting through social media outlets. I love face to face interaction with my readers and love to engage in discussions about the books, their interests, likes, dislikes, etc.

Our theme for this month is INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS. Have you ever considered self publishing your work? Why or Why not?. If you are a independent publishers, can you offer some tips for taking this journey.

I am self published with the support of a vanity publishing company. That method has worked best for me. If I could offer any tips about the publishing process is to research, research and then research again. Regardless of whether you consider traditional, indie, vanity or self publishing, do your due diligence. Learn as much as you can about the business from top to bottom, inside and out. Find a mentor in the industry you can trust. Two heads are most often better than one. If you aren't sure about something, ask - there is someone probably willing to help you. Be humble. Lastly, buck up and enjoy the ride because it surely will be one.

Who was the first author you ever met?

Patrick S. Muhammad was the first author I ever met.

Oprah always asks, what do you know for sure?

I know for sure that I love and understand the power of the written word, and because of that, I never use them lightly.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next project is "Interstate 64" a psychological thriller due out later this year.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

My email address is reflectedgifts @yahoo.com.

Blog: http://authordeidradsgreen.wordpress.com/ Website: http://deidradsgreen.3dcartstores.com/



Twisted Sister is a mind-bending tale of love, cruelty, friendship, and revenge. The story opens with Holly and Blythe – two African American twenty-somethings that are on the way to the top of a prestigious financial management firm. While Blythe is “lucky in love,” Holly is a self-imposed single that is focused on solidifying her career, not on finding Mr. Right. To make matters worse, a failed engagement that still haunts Holly cripples her every time she tries to make a new relationship work.

That all seems destined to change, though, when Blythe discloses that a new associate named Trent has developed feelings for Holly. Not only is Trent seemingly successful, kind-hearted, and financially secure, but he is also every woman’s dream – athletically built with chiseled and handsome features.

After a sexually charged first date, followed by a whirlwind undercover few weeks of dating, Holly’s romance comes to a screeching halt. Even though she knew that inter-office dating was frowned upon, Holly had been sure that her office romance had gone unnoticed…until one of the partners called her out and gave her an ultimatum: a successful career or Trent.

When Holly makes the decision to break off her relationship with Trent, she could never have dreamed about the nightmare that awaited her as a result of leaving him. Kidnapped, drugged, and raped at knifepoint, Holly has every chance to wilt completely at the hands of her captor. However, after a sudden twist of grace leaves her alive and standing outside of her apartment high rise, the strong will to fight that lives within her soul sparks to life, enabling her to vow that she will not let her tormentor get away with what he has done.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!