Monday, March 31, 2008

FEATURED AUTHOR: Tina Brooks McKinney


Please give the readers a brief bio on you the person and the writer.

Tina the person is shy and enjoys reading. She does not like a whole lot of attention and can normally be found at home with her family. She avoid crowds like the plague and will spend the entire weekend in the house and be completely happy. The writer is more outgoing on paper. She can use her keyboard to say things that normally would never cross her lips LOL. I guess you can say writing Tina is my alter ego. I have written four books but only three are available at this tine. All That Drama, Lawd, Mo' Drama and Fool, Stop Trippin'. I am currently working on my next novel that is untitled at the moment.

Tell us about your current book?



Fool, Stop Trippin' is the story of a woman determination to keep her man by any means necessary and if she can't have him, no one else will. I loved creating this story because I really let my imagination run wild. I used a few of the characters from my other novel to create this slightly paranormal tale. As with all my books, there is a lesson to be learned but you will have to read it to find out what it is.

What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

The loudest message that I try to deliver in all my books is the need to love yourself. I've suffered from low self esteem for most of my life and the effects can be devastating. Once we learn to love ourselves unconditionally, we are less likely to fall for the okie-doke.

Are you a morning writer or a night writer?

I am a whenever I can get the opportunity writer. Since I am still holding down a day job, I get in where I can fit in LOL.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love the creative process, seeing the characters grow before my eyes. I detest the editing process LOL.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

The most frustrating thing about the business to me that I didn't understand how long it takes for a manuscript to become a novel. Had I known, I would have worked extra hard to make sure I had several books stacked on shelves ready to go to print. I think my second book would have done better if it hadn't taken so long to be printed. I lost the momentum of the first book and people had to re-read it to understand what was going on in the second one.

I also wish I would have understood how important it is to network. I do well with friends that I've met either on line or my fellow writers but I still have a ways to go with strangers. When I get to these big events, I tend to blend into the woodwork hoping to go unnoticed but that's the time to really strut your stuff.

What’s the most interesting change in your life as a result of being a published author?

I don't really see my life as having been changed. Sure, it's different when I am out on tour and folks actually appear excited to meet me but when I'm home, it's business a usual. I think some people expect me to change but I'm happy with the way things are.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I feel like I'm joined at the hip with this laptop. That is where most of my marketing is done. This works for me because I can do it in the privacy of my home and it reaches a broader market. I also host a weekly radio show where I introduce both new and established authors. To hear one of my shows, go to www.blogtalkradio.com/tinabrooksmckinney.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Please don't take this the wrong way - Authors do book signings to sell books. Often times, we have paid good money for airfare, hotel and other such expenses to do them. Be considerate of this when you see a author at the store. Don't use this time to ask a gazillion questions. Instead, ask if it would be okay to email them later to have a one on one discussion. You will find that most authors would love to speak to you in detail outside of that setting. On the flip side of that, don't go out of your way to ignore us either. It's nothing wrong with just stopping by and saying hi as we love to meet new readers.

Name your top five favorite writing books.

I have two shelves of writing books. It would be unfair of me to just list five. Each give me what I need when I need it. I also learn from reading books by other authors.

What do you do to make time for yourself?

Huh, what's that? LOL

This month our theme is Writing for Children. Have you ever considered writing a children’s book?

No I haven't. My children are all grown and I don't have any young children in my immediate family living in Georgia therefore, I am out of touch with children. I believe once I start having grandchildren, I will consider it but I'm not rushing that process LOL.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)
http://www.tinamckinney.com/, tybrooks2@yahoo.com

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!