Friday, July 17, 2009

FEATURED AUTHOR: Mesha Coleman


Mesha is originally from Oklahoma City, OK. She credits her creativity to God and her strong matriarchic linage. Each woman in her family has both a creative spirit and the tenacity to withstand any obstacle they face. Some authors are born to write while others acquire a love for writing along life’s journey. Author Mesha Coleman has always loved to write poetry but not until attending a spoken word event was she inspired to write a play which turned into her first novel "A Big Girls Blues". After creating the first novel the flood gates opened and the creative spirit of writing came rushing in. Her works will support both original writings under her given name as well as writings under her alias or what she calls her alter ego: Zephyr Rose. As a new author Mesha is excited about the opportunity to share her fictional creations with you and looks forward to an adventure filled ride.



What would you like readers to take away from your book?

I want readers to be inspired to look within themselves and pursue their dreams and goals. I want readers to learn to love themselves from the inside out. I would like readers to see themselves for the wonderfully made individuals that God created them to be.

Why did you choose to write this book?

I was inspired by a poem that I heard at a spoken word event. The book was initial a play but after a good friend read the play for inspiration for a book she said I should turn it into a book so after that A big Girl’s Blues was born.

What did you learn while writing this book?

The editing portion is very difficult especially when you are doing it yourself. Also it is very hard to write in 1st person.

What was your favorite scene/chapter from the book?

My favorite scene is when Jasmine overhears her husband praying. It was very important for me to portray a strong, supportive male figure, similar to my father and husband.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

It’s truly hard to sit down and just write.

What is the best lesson you have learned from another writer?

Pat Simmons has been very helpful in recommending different types of promotional material.

What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?

Staying true to who I am and what I want portrayed in my writing. I want my writing to be a legacy to my children. I want my mother and father to be proud of what they read from me and knowing the type of morals that I’ve been raised with and I want that to be reflected in my writing.

What is something readers would be surprised you do?

I am a very adventurous soul. I recently bungee jumped!

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

Really, this has been a roller coaster ride. I didn’t really have any expectation. So currently I don’t have any regrets, I’m just enjoying the ride.

How do you reach new readers?

Most of my exposure is a result of word of mouth. Because this is my first book I am still learning the ropes regarding promotions.

If you could have dinner with 3 authors to talk with about their writing (living or deceased) who would you invite and why?

I am a big fan of Nora Roberts and Jacqueline Thomas.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Share your writings with friends and family. Get opinions from any one that will provide one. The more eyes the better. Don’t limit yourself. Open your mind, dig deep and let your creative juices flow freely.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

I can be reached a www.heart4writing.com. I can be emailed at hrt4wrtn@yahoo..com
Our theme for this month is AGENT HUNTING. Do you have any advice on finding a good agent?

I am currently not represented by an Agent but I am interested in any information you have that may help in this area.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

There is actually a sneak peek of my next book in the current book. I am still working on the direction of this story but I believe it should be published late this year or early next year. This novel deal with how individuals can grow apart in a marriage if it’s not your main priority after God.

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!