Monday, September 06, 2010

FEATURED AUTHOR: Marla Martenson

Marla Martenson is a professional matchmaker, life coach, speaker and the author of three books.


In her first book, Excuse Me, Your Soul Mate Is Waiting Marla combines her dating expertise with the sure-fire techniques of the Law of Attraction to help bring love into her readers lives.


Her second book, Good Date, Bad Date, offers valuable advice for single women struggling with the secret to successful dating. Using real life case studies, she reveals what men are really thinking during and after a date.


In her latest book, Diary of a Beverly Hills Matchmaker Marla takes her readers for a hilarious romp through her days as an exclusive L.A. matchmaker and her daily struggles to keep her self-esteem from imploding in a town where looks are everything and money talks.


Marla and her husband reside in blissful harmony in Los Angeles, where she continues to bring her considerable matchmaking expertise to the single population of star-studded Southern California.


Diary of a Beverly Hills Matchmaker



Welcome to the world of Marla Martenson. The Cupid of Beverly Hills, she has introduced countless couples who have gone on to get married and live happily ever after—so far. But for every success story, there are more dating disasters, high-maintenance clients, out-of-touch men (and women), and downright comical situations with which she has to contend.
In Diary of a Beverly Hills Matchmaker, Marla takes her readers for a hilarious romp through her days in an exclusive L.A. matchmaking agency and her daily struggles to keep her self-esteem from imploding in a town where looks are everything and money talks. From juggling the demands her out-of-touch clients and trying her best to meet the capricious demands of an insensitive boss to the ups and downs of her own marriage with a Latin husband who doesn’t think that she is “domestic” enough, Marla writes with charm and self-effacement about the universal struggles that all women face in their lives.


Readers will laugh, cringe, and cry as they journey with her through outrageous stories about the indignities of dating in Los Angeles, dealing with overblown egos, vicariously hobnobbing with celebrities, and navigating the wannabe-land of Beverly Hills. In a land where perfection is almost a prerequisite, even Marla can’t help but run for the Botox every once in a while.


How did you start out your writing career?


I started my writing career a few years ago when I decided to write a relationship advice book. I wanted to be a writer since I was in grade school, but I never followed up on it until I had the idea for Excuse Me, Your Soul Mate Is Waiting. I started out by keeping notes and funny emails that I would get at the dating service I worked at and after a couple of years, I took those notes as well as things that I had learned on the job and was able to write a book.


What did you learn while writing this book?


In writing my first book, I learned that dreams really can come true. I never had the confidence to write before, but during the process I discovered that I was a good writer and that my initial feelings and desires of wanting to write from a young age, was the Universe gently telling me which direction to go. While writing my new book, Diary of a Beverly Hills Matchmaker through working with a wonderful editor, I learned how to develop characters and how to really tighten up a story. Writing a memoir is certainly a different experience than writing self help books.


What did you hope to accomplish with this book?


I hope to entertain people and make them laugh. Nothing feels better than when someone emails me and tells me that they couldn't put the book down because they were enjoying it so much. I would also love this book to be turned into a film or TV series.


What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?


I guess I would have to say being published.


If you had the opportunity to talk with three writers, who would you choose and why?


I would love to have a drink with Jen Lancaster, because her books were the inspiration for Diary of a Beverly Hills Matchmaker. I am in awe of how she went right to the top with her witty, snarky memoirs about her life with her husband. I would love to talk to J.K. Rowling, I think she is the most amazing writer and would love to know how she is able to keep track of all of the characters and story lines through out seven books. I can't imagine writing a 700 page book and being able to keep track of everyone.


And finally there is an Indian author called Rohinton Mistry who wrote one of my all time favorite books, A Fine Balance. The Indian culture fascinates me and it would be wonderful to have a cup of tea with him and talk about writing.


What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?


I wish I would have known how to manage my money, time and patience better.


Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?


Do write every day or at least every week. The only way to get any headway with a project is to work on it on a consistent basis.


Don't be too hard on yourself, let the ideas and words flow onto the page, have fun with it. If it feels like a chore you won't stick with it.


I borrowed this question from Author Carleene Brice, What is your author fantasy?


My author fantasy is to be number one on the New York Times Best Seller list and to have my books go to the big screen.


What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?


That just because an author has a book at Barnes and Noble, doesn't mean that they are rich. A funny story to illustrate this point is, about three years ago my husband and I were house hunting. Our real estate agent told her friend that she was helping the author Marla Martenson look for a house. The friend replied, "Wow, Marla Martenson? You must be looking at million dollar houses!"


What was the best advice you’d ever gotten about the publishing industry?


The worst? The best advice was that it is a business, and an author must do something everyday to promote their book. I can't say I've had any bad advice. I read a lot about publishing and marketing so I am always refreshing my mind with wonderful information and tips.


If you could visit any place in the world where would you travel to?


I really want to go to India.


What is something readers would be surprised you do?


I like to kiss kittens on the lips.


Our theme this month is Online Marketing. What online marketing have you found works well for you?


Getting reviewed on book blogs, being active on facebook, and doing interviews on blog talk radio shows have all been great for me.


Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?


What I know for sure is when we follow our passions and our dreams instead of taking the easy route, life really sparkles and is truly worth living.


Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?


My next book is the sequel to Diary of a Beverly Hills Matchmaker. The adventures continue....


How can readers get in contact with you?


http://www.marlamartenson.com/  and my email is, marlamartenson@mac.com, I love to hear from readers.

Would you like to win a copy of Diary of a Beverly Hills Matchmaker.  Leave your name and email in the comments.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

3 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Marla,

Thanks for being our featured author today. How did you get into the matchmaking business?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for featuring me LaShaunda! I got into the matchmaking biz by a fluke. My husband has a friend who was taking over the management position at a video dating service and hired me, I loved it and ended up working there for a year and a half, after I left I applied for a job an upscale Beverly Hills matchmaking service and ended up working there for almost 7 years. Now I have my own matchmaking service called Cupid For Hire.

LORETTA CANTON said...

I enjoed the interview and learn alot about you. I use to believe that authors made money but now I know most just love writing.


loretta

lbcanton@verizon.net

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!