Friday, June 17, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Regina Hart

Award-winning author Patricia Sargeant writes romantic suspense. She also writes contemporary romance as Regina Hart.

A voracious reader, Patricia first realized she wanted to be a published author at the age of nine. She was drawn to write romances because she loves happy endings. Her romantic suspense novels feature ordinary people in extraordinary situations. Her contemporary romances reveal characters struggling to overcome their inner demons.

In addition to reading, Patricia’s hobbies include music, jogging and hiking. Her favorite spectator sports are basketball, football and track-and-field, both college and pros. She loves movies and she’s addicted to Law & Order and TruTV. Patricia's website address is www.PatriciaSargeant.com. Her Regina Hart website is www.AuthorReginaHart.com.

Patricia loves to hear from readers. Her e-mail address is BooksByPatricia@Yahoo.com

Raised in New York City, Patricia now lives in Ohio with her husband.

How did you start out your writing career?

I finished my first full-length novel in 1991. Little did I know at the time that it was only the first draft. After years of rejections, I joined Romance Writers of America in 1999. That's when I learned I didn't even know what I didn't know. (smile) I learned about the craft as well as the business of writing fiction. Seven years later, I signed my first publishing contract.

What did you learn while writing this book?

Fast Break is my seventh title. While writing Fast Break, I learned I didn't know as much about basketball as I thought I did. (smile) I did a lot of research. Iesearch is an extremely important part of writing. It adds realism to your scenes and helps you better understand your characters. I attended several men's and women's college basketball practices, read player blogs and watched documentaries for "behind the scenes" information.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

Great question! Fast Break's message is you can't win unless you're willing to risk losing. That sounds strange, doesn't it? But it's true. I know a couple of aspiring authors who won't finish a manuscript because they're afraid. I know other aspiring authors who've finished at least one manuscript, but they won't shop it because they're afraid. You're not going to win unless you're willing to risk losing.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

That's a very difficult question. LOL! I enjoyed writing all of the characters, including the ones I think readers will hate. I think I had the most fun writing the heroine. I enjoyed making her really feminine as well as tough and fearless.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

This is hard to express. It's always so amazing and so incredibly humbling when people "get" my story. When people understand the message in my story, when they understand the characters. Writers write first for themselves because, at the end of the day, we're responsible for our stories. But when other people understand the story and enjoy the story, it's an amazing, humbling and truly gratifying experience.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

LOL! Truly, it depends on the story and the day. LOL! But in general, I love when I connect with my characters and they start telling their story. I hate when I get stuck in a scene.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

The most important thing I wish I'd learned is how to better manage my time so I could juggle my personal and professional demands more successfully. I still haven't learned how to do that.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do continue to study the business and craft of writing.

Don't ever stop learning the business and craft of writing.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

It's work. Yes, as authors we love what we do. Writing is such a big part of us. It's our vocation and avocation. But it's also our job and we take our work very seriously. For example, don't ask why I have to do research for my fictional story. Fiction is anchored in fact. That's what allows readers to suspend belief and move seamlessly into my world.


If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

Ooh. This is a tough one. For today, I'll answer Jessi Teresa Blake from Beverly Jenkins's Deadly Sexy. JT has courage and confidence.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Sleep. LOL! I also love spending time with my husband. We enjoy hiking, movies and cuddling. And talking. I love talking with him. Of course, I love to read and I'm trying to get back into a regular running routine. I'd love to run another marathon. Ha! One mile at a time. LOL!

What do you do to interact with your readers?

Most of my reader interactions occur on the Internet. I have an e-newsletter that I distribute when I have announcements. Readers who are interested can subscribe to my e-newsletter through either www.PatriciaSargeant.com or through www.AuthorReginaHart.com. I'm on Twitter at @BooksByPatricia. There are two reader and author events I try to attend every year. The Lori Foster and Dianne Castell Readers &; Authors Get Together in Cincinnati, Ohio, and the Romance Slam Jam, which this year is in Baltimore.

Our theme for this month is INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS.

Have you ever considered self publishing your work? Why or Why not? Oh, now this is a very timely question for me. Yes, I have considered self-publishing at least one story. I would very much like to write the sequel to You Belong to Me. However, my publisher wasn't interested in the proposal. For that reason, 'm seriously considering self-publishing that story.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know absolutely, positively and unequivocally that there are a lot of things I don't know. (smile)

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next release, Game Plan, is the second book in the Brooklyn Monarchs trilogy. It's another Regina Hart release. It picks up where Fast Break ends. Readers will meet Game Plans hero and heroine - Troy Marshall and Andrea Benson - in Fast Break. Troy is the Monarchs' vice president of marketing and media. Andrea is a sports reporter for a struggling publication. They both have a lot of issues to overcome. (smile)

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

I absolutely love communicating with readers. I love talking about my books, other people's books, TV, movies, music, sports and various other topics. My e-mail address is BooksByPatricia@yahoo.com. In the interest of full disclosure, when I'm on deadline, I don't always respond as quickly as I would like to. But I do always respond. Readers also can follow me on Twitter, if they're interested, at @BooksByPatricia.

My website address is www.PatriciaSargeant.com. My website address as Regina Hart is www.AuthorReginaHart.com. LaShaunda, thank you so much for this opportunity. You ask really great questions.

Fast Break by Regina Hart

It’s 24/7 money, fame, and game on—and off—the court. But the real action is behind the scenes in Regina Hart’s sizzling new pro b-ball series, where the stakes are everything and winning means playing for keeps.

He’s a two-time MVP and three-time championship winner. He lives to be the best. And now that he’s a first-time coach, DeMarcus Guinn will lead the NBA’s worst team to the top his way—or no way at all. But the team’s fiery franchise owner, Jaclyn Jones, is fighting him at every turn. And their unexpectedly seductive one-on-one is the kind of game time he can’t resist.

Turning her family’s team into winners is Jaclyn’s only hope of saving them and her community. She’s used to being in control, but DeMarcus’ determination—and the way he makes her feel—are like no moves she’s ever seen. And with everything they care about on the line, they’ll have to play to win … or lose their hearts.


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

2 comments:

Sidne said...

Enjoyed this post!

Patricia Sargeant said...

Thank you! LaShaunda asks excellent interview questions.

Best!

Patricia

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!