Monday, June 20, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Shanisha Dodson



S.Dodson is originally from Arkansas and currently resides in Northern Virginia. She is pursuing a doctorate degree in Education specializing in Adult Learning and Higher Education. She holds a BA in Psychology from Grambling State University and a MA in Counseling from Dallas Baptist University. Her memberships include Kappa Delta Pi honors society, Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority incorporated, and the American Management Association.Teen Girls Need L.O.V.E. is her first non-fiction book. She wrote this book with the hopes of inspiring all teens to push to the next level.

How did you start out your writing career?

I started my writing career while in college. Writing became a passion in high school. I was asked to write a narrative about anything. I picked "Sweet Meesy Wolf" my favorite uncle. I made 3 100’s on the assignment.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that it is important to follow your dreams even when no one else believes in you.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hope to inspire teen girls all over the world to push to the next level.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The most surprising thing is receiving love from your fans.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I hate the editing and re-writes. I enjoy receiving the finished product. No matter how many books you write, the feeling you get from seeing the finished product is indescribable.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

I wish I would have known the secret to getting published, the secret to selling a million books, and the importance of taking advantage of unlimited opportunities.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do-Always have thick skin. Don’t-Don’t give up on your dream.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

I wish non-writers would understand that people write from the heart. You may hate a book but someone else might love it.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I enjoy reading, cooking, dancing and hanging with friends. I'm working on a doctorate so I don’t have much time to do anything outside of studying and promoting my upcoming book.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I interact with readers via email, social networking sites and by hosting contests. I love
for readers to interact with me when I’m at book events.

Our theme for this month is INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS.

Have you ever considered self publishing your work? I enjoy self publishing because it allows the author to be in control. As the author, you can choose a graphic designer, editing company and market any way you want.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know for sure that I am beautifully and wonderfully made!

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

Own Your Future

Knowledge
Is
Power!

When all else fails, you can fall back on your education.

If I took a survey of 1000 students, most of them would not list school as being their most favorite thing in the world. It may not be something that you want to do, but it is something that you have to do. Work hard and own your future.

Own it! Own it! Own it! I know you are asking, “How can I own my future?” The answer is to take advantage of the unlimited opportunities the world has to offer. Take a moment to look around.

There are choices. You have the ability to choose your path. You can become anything you want, regardless of your background. Just work hard and let your best qualities shine.

No matter what road you plan to travel, you will need the foundation of a strong education to prosper. It will be a tough battle, but you can conquer it. Always remember that obtaining knowledge is a never-ending process.

Statistics show that thirteen percent of Hispanic, ten percent of African-American, and six percent of Caucasian students drop out of high school each year. Why is this? The most common answers are: 1. School is not fun; 2. I became a teenage parent; 3.There isn’t a need for education; 4. I had to take care of my family.

How can you be competitive if you don’t have the credentials?

I know that homework is not your most favorite thing to do, but you need a high school diploma or a GED to work in just about any field. It doesn’t matter if you choose McDonalds, the movie theater, or Microsoft. You will still need an education.

Everyone knows that men make more money than women for doing the same work. This means that as young ladies, you have to work twice as hard to be competitive. Now is the time to think about your future.

An educated woman is a powerful woman. Back in the day, women all over the world fought to have the same education as men had. As young ladies, I challenge you to achieve greatness by taking advantage of the unlimited opportunities the world has to offer.

On your journey to achieving success, you will come across stumbling blocks that might cause you to doubt your abilities. When this happens, keep pushing! You will also come across people that will only look for the worst in you. Marvin Sapp sang it best, “He saw the best in me when everyone else saw the worst.” When this happens, don’t let it get you down. Do what’s right for you. Follow your dreams, even if no one else believes in you. Believe in yourself!

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

http://www.teengirlsneedlove.com/

http://www.mahogneyinkpublication.com/

teengirlsneedlove@gmail.com

book trailer link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxYsPUim6U&feature=youtu.be



Teen Girls Need L.O.V.E. is suitable for the straight A student, the troubled teen, and the girl looking to be empowered. The goal is to transform our teens into successful women by giving them the tools needed to build their self confidence and self esteem. This book focuses on the hottest topics facing teens such as relationships, self esteem, bullying, the importance of education, and how to set goals. If guidance is what you need, Teen Girls Need L.O.V.E. is here to the rescue!


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!