Monday, November 07, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Tiffany L. Warren

Tiffany L. Warren, is an author, playwright, songwriter, mother and wife. Her debut novel What a Sista Should Do, was released in June of 2005 and has ministered to over 50,000 readers. Her second book, Farther than I Meant to Go, Longer than I Meant to Stay was a national bestseller. In 2006, Tiffany and her husband founded Warren Productions and released their first gospel musical. What a Sista Should Do - The Stage Play debuted in Cleveland, OH at the famed Allen Theatre.

Tiffany writes fiction for young adults under the pen name Nikki Carter. The So For Real and the Fab Life are available in stores.

Tiffany resides in northern Texas with her husband Brent and their five children.

I will say that my career as a writer started in 2003 when I started sending out queries for What a Sista Should Do, but I’ve been writing since I was a child.

What did you learn while writing this book?

That writing in a different genre is HARD! I’d only published Christian Fiction and the writing process is different for every genre. Chocolate Dreams is a romance, and it took me awhile to get into that mindset.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I just wanted to write a fun novel! All of my previous books deal with really tough issues like low self-esteem, cults, forgiveness and the power of prayer. I enjoy writing those books, and I believe that is my ministry and calling. But I needed a break. Those novels take a lot out of me, and I just wanted to do something that was purely for entertainment.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

Jake! I really like Jake’s snarky witticism and how he’s got a sweet side. Carmen was fun too. I loved her internal rants.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The competition of it all. I love reading and I love writing, but I always say…I am not a shark. There are some sharks in the water.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love coming up with ideas and hitting that sweet spot in the story where it all comes together. I hate deadlines.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

That I would need the patience of Job. That it feels like the first time, every time I publish. That I would enjoy it this much! I would’ve started sooner.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do study the craft. Don’t think that you can be a writer by making friends with writers. It’s not an osmosis type thing.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That writing is a very personal thing. It is hard to not take disses about our books personally, because the stories are birthed from within.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

Wow!

Let’s see…I read a lot of sci-fi, so I would say Anwanyu from Octavia E. Butler’s Wild Seed. She has the best powers; she’s immortal, she can turn into animals, she’s telepathic.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Read, cook, travel and spend time with my family.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I’m a Twitter person!!! And Facebook too. I also like personal emails at tiffany@tiffanylwarren.com I answer all of my emails.

Our theme for this month is MEN IN LITERATURE. What male author are your reading?

Well, I am about to read Casanegra by Blair Underwood, Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know for sure that God has called me to be a writer. Those who He has called He qualifies.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next adult novel will be the sequel to What a Sista Should Do, and it will be out in 2013.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

tiffany@tiffanylwarren.com www.twitter.com/tiffanylwarren

Chocolate Dreams

The ladies go crazy for chocolate! At least, that’s what editor, Carmen Washington, believes when she sets up the five city Chocolate Dreams book tour to promote Jake Richmond’s new release Still Dogs. Joining Jake are his sexy frat brothers and fellow authors Derrick Shaw and Brandon Jamison. The chocolicious trio are enough to make any girl swoon, but Jake only has eyes for Carmen. Unfortunately, a non-fraternization clause at Times Square Books makes a romance between the two of them impossible. And then there’s Carmen’s barracuda boss Vanessa has plans to get her own cougar-like claws into Jake. Throw into the mix a psychotic lover from Derrick’s past and a loan shark out for Brandon’s blood, and you get a topsy turvy, romantic romp that’s like The Devil Loves Prada meets The Brothers.

 



If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

1 comment:

Jennifer C. said...

Awesome interview. One reason I never wanted to write romance is because it's so different and has it's own guideline as do everything else. It's hard to conform from one to the other.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!