Wednesday, February 29, 2012

FEATURED AUTHOR: Allyson M. Deese


Discovering The Joy Within

Where life for her should be beginning, for Jordyn she feels that her life is already over.

Lost in a world of depression, the vulnerable teen eventually feels she has found love again in Eric Carter. He's older and more mature than Carlos, and he's also the loving father of two. His kids can never replace her beautiful angels but Jordyn feels that loving them helps her broken heart to heal. Life is once again bearable until she discovers Eric's form of abuse isn't physical; it's verbal. She endures his tongue lashing but in the end, he leaves her for his lover. The stress and heartache leads the expectant mother down a familiar road; miscarriage and yet more darkness and pain.

Surrounded by her own darkness, Jordyn closes her heart to love after having endured physical and emotional abuse. That is until Marcus Brown comes along to heal her broken heart. The third time should be the charm but Jordyn soon discovers that Marcus’ glitter is not gold. What's a young woman to do when every road she takes leads to heartache and pain?

Book Trailer: http://animoto.com/play/7GyPLIImRr8WNDTEOZZzMw


Being in love with the written word since pre-school, she began writing poetry in her teens, but it would be years before she floated on cloud nine... into the world of writing to entertain and inspire others. Once writing explicit romance, Allyson now dedicates all of her writings to God with the prayer that her stories will touch the hearts of her readers.

How did you start out your writing career?

I was simply trying to heal my own soul after separating from my first husband. I posted some of my writing on my myspace blog and the rest is history.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that I was definitely more emotionally connected to the characters I loved to hate, than I thought I would be.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

It was and is my prayer that I’ve raised awareness against teenage domestic violence, especially in the African-American community.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

The characters came first for me. They came first because bits and pieces of them are based on my life and the lives of those I’ve known.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The thing that has truly surprised me the most is the length of time that it takes to become well or even somewhat known for your work.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

What I love most about writing is “getting to know” new characters. What I hate most about writing is the re-writing, and re-writing before production.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

Three things that I’d wish I’d known before I’d made it to this point is, one: how easy it is to be boxed into one genre, two: how hard it is to break into new genres/ audiences, and three: how long it really takes to build a concrete following.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

If I could only give one do, it would be to have a solid pre-reading team. People who will honestly give you constructive criticism.

My main don’t would have to be DO NOT LOOK FOR OVERNIGHT FAME. It takes years and lots of hard work to become known, trust me, I’m still climbing the mountain too. LOL

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

I wish that non-writers knew or understood that writing is a full time job, and most of us have full time jobs outside of the home and writing as well.

Tell us something few know about you?

Something that few know about me is that I still aim to be a fashion designer someday.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Reading, cooking, and spending time with my new husband.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I can often be found talking about other books and reading along with my readers as well.

Our theme for this month is Writing the book, what advice do you have for staying motivated to complete the book?

Write in a quiet and private space, turn the music up or off, and set a schedule for completing your book and try your best to stick to it.

Do you do anything to promote Black History Month?

My husband and I do a lot different programs at church, and I like to honor the local African American Heroes in different ways.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

That God loves me, and I love Him.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

I sure can…

Make Me Over: An Office Affairs Novel: After the soloist had finished the last line of the beautiful song, Bishop Paul McCoy stood and said the closing prayer and then asked everyone but the family of the deceased to remain seated. He came down and shook Davis, Allysia, and little Tyshawn’s hands and kissed a sound asleep baby LaDonna. Tears silently slid down Davis’ cheek but he was trying his best to remain strong for his family. Since he was the only child, he had to be the rock of the family since both of his parents were now gone. With his mother, the first woman he ever loved being taken to her final resting place, Davis felt as if a piece of his heart had been taken from him all over again.

Allysia was grateful for the fact that she and her mother in-law had gotten the chance to know one another and had formed a friendship. While the elder Mrs. Jackson didn’t agree with the fact that her daughter in-law didn’t like to cook, she had come to accept her for who she was, and Allysia Donaldson-Jackson appreciated that. As the casket passed by the family, Davis broke down and Allysia passed the baby to her mother and went to comfort her husband who was shaking and crying uncontrollably. “It’s okay baby, it’s okay. I’m here. I love you.” Allysia really didn’t know what to say to comfort her husband, but, she was doing the best she could. The casket finally passed and the family slowly followed it out of the sanctuary, though the sun was shining bright, it felt as if a dark cloud had hovered over the Jackson family as the heart of the family had been called home to glory.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Readers can write me at Allyson M. Deese PO Box 394, Asheville, NC 28802, allysondeese@yahoo.com or visit me http://allysonmdeese.webs.com/

Thank you so much for this interview LaShaunda!

If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!