Monday, March 16, 2009

FEATURED AUTHOR: Alesica Smith


As a long time resident of Wickliffe, Ohio, Alesica discovered her love for writing at a young age when she penned her first story called “The Duck Who Loved Rainbows” for a class project. Having put her own dreams on hold for years as she tended to family and other personal obligations, Alesica found that she was unable to share her gifts with the world. Having overcome obstacles such as being hearing impaired, being labeled a slow learner during her early years as a child, and being told by a teacher that she could never learn another language because she could barely speak English, Alesica has compiled a book of poetry that reflects the struggles, trials, and tribulations, that life often brings our way. As a “30-Something” woman, Alesica states that, “I am thankful that God has given me another chance to share what could be my greatest moment in life, with others!”

Inspired by her three children and having almost lost her life to chronic asthma, Ms. Smith feels that all of her experiences in life have given her the strength to understand that life is too short and that writing helps her fulfill her goals and purpose in life, as well as the encouragement to pursue her other artistic talents that include drawing and painting.

What would you like readers to take away from your book?

Exhale wordz from tha' soul is about all the elements that makes us human. It touches some of the subjects that we are most sensitive about. It's about life, love, and family. It shares some of the trials that we may face and offers a little inspiration that so many people need to see a different view perhaps another way to get through their day. I am in hopes that the reader will receive the thought that life is what you make it, not what it makes of you. It's okay to hold your breath as you go through certain life experiences as long as you learn to exhale all that you have been holding in. I hope to offer the thought that lovers and families will be closer after reading the thoughts that have come from one heart to another. Why did you choose to write this book? For so long I've held on to the thought that I was learning disabled and that I could never achieve such a great accomplishment. God has opened my eyes when I almost lost my life to asthma and I found myself renewed with a whole different outlook on life. I have been blessed with a dream that I never knew would finally come true.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that producing a book takes time and patience. Good communication with your publisher is a must!

What was your favorite poem from the book?

My favorite poem from the book is called Breathe

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That writing isn't always a finished product on the first try. Often times writer's rewrite things more than once until satisfaction of their work is obtained.

What is the best lesson you have learned from another writer?

That organization is the key to the whole process of writing even after the book is finished.

What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?

Having the money to complete the book on time

What is something readers would be surprised you do?

Animal Photography

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

Three things I wish I'd known before now are 1. That my health was going to give me problems 2. That I still would be unmarried at the age of 36 3.That my aunt Mary Norfleet wouldn't be here to share some of my most accomplished moments.

How do you reach new readers?

Networking sites and Events

If you could have dinner with 3 authors to talk with about their writing (living or deceased) who would you invite and why?

The three authors I would pick are:

1. Maya Angelou she's one of my idols and I've always wanted to meet her.

2. Barrack Obama because he's an extraordinary man and I've read his first book and loved it.

3.Barbara Williams not only is she my publisher but, she is an inspiration to me and not having met her yet we have much to talk about!.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a poet?

One do is: Stay focused and One don't is: Give up

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Website: http://www.poetikempress.com/

Email:Poetikempress@gmail.com

Our theme for this month is Resources On The Net, what three resources do you use on the net?

Facebook, Myspace and Essence

Exhale: Wordz from Tha' Soul

For many years I've dreamed of this moment, and now I'm actually sharing it with you. I never thought that this moment would arrive. I've poured my heart and soul into finding the right words to place in front of my reader's eyes. I try to give each and every poem that I write a story behind a picture that needs to be painted for all to see the way that I see. I'm hoping that you'll love me for the words that I present as much as I love them as they come from pen to paper. I hope that you find me unique, and that I represent some feeling that you've felt at one time or another. Know that someone else is out there thinking about things and going through the same trials and tribulations of life, love, and family. I'm with you through every emotion. It is my hope that you will take the time through all of this happiness, sorrow, hardship, love, and pain to take a moment to EXHALE.

Win a copy of Exhale: Wordz from Tha' Soul by leaving a comment.

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!