Monday, March 07, 2016

FEATURED AUTHOR: Patricia A. Bridewell





Patricia A. Bridewell’s mother handed her a book in early childhood, and an immersion into the lives of fictional characters led to a passion for reading. Daily journaling provoked an urge to write her first novel Reflections of a Quiet Storm in 2005, the book was published in 2009. She teamed up with co-author Faatima Johnson and wrote A Generation of Curses. The book has received positive reviews, won the 2013 Readers Favorite International Book Award in Christian Fiction, and was an Amazon Best Seller. Her novel, Two Steps Past the Altar, will be released in May 2016 by Brown Girls Faith.

Patricia holds an Associate of Science in Nursing from Los Angeles Southwest College, Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Holy Names University, and Master of Science in Nursing from Mount St. Mary’s University – Los Angeles. She is a registered nurse and full-time instructor at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, a member of International Black Writers and Artists – Los Angeles, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing – NuXi Chapter, the Council of Black of Nurses, California Association of Nurse Practitioners. Above all, she loves the Lord and her family. Patricia is a member of West Angeles Church of God in Christ. 

Contacts
Email: patriciaannbridewell@gmail.com
Facebook:  Patricia Ann Bridewell
Twitter:  PABridewell




Two Steps Past the Altar


Sahiba English does the unthinkable and marries Wesley Dunbar, the CEO of Dunbar Pharmaceuticals, knowing her heart belongs to her husband, Damien Taylor. But love takes a second place to the promises of a corporate position and a life-saving medication for her ailing mother.

Two steps past the altar, Sahiba’s romantic honeymoon transforms into a surfeit of lies, deception, and blackmail. Trapped by a decision of her own, Sahiba struggles to escape the clutches of a man who resolves to make good on the vow, “till death do us part.”

Will Sahiba get all she wants, or will God give her what she needs?



What inspired your book? 

I believe the inspiration for my book came from two things.  Many years ago, I knew someone who was married to two people at the same time.  But the person actually had the opinion that his/her reasons were valid. When the idea for my book came to mind, my thoughts were to create a story that revolved around the same basic idea, yet had many differences.

What would you like readers to take away from the book? 

I hope to emphasize in the book that nobody is perfect. My characters have flaws. The protagonist has flaws such as being selfish, a workaholic, and the impression that status and wealth are everything. Other characters have addiction and anger issues, but these are behaviors we see in real life. In the end, I want readers to see the transitions.  I believe that God, family, and helping other people should be number one.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about? 

I enjoyed writing about all of the characters, but Damien stood out. His warmth and southern charm was easy to write into the story.

What did you learn while writing this book? 

I always do research when I’m writing, and I’ve learned a lot about places that I had/and had not visited, facts about different professions. I reviewed some of the characteristics of maladaptive human behaviors such as anger, addiction, relationship issues.  Writing forces me to research information for accuracy in my stories.

What are three things you wished you’d known before you reached where you are now?

 I wish that I had known more about using social media years ago because it is so important for marketing/promotion. Like many novice writers, when I started writing, I made some decisions that were not favorable for my writing career. However, I am thankful for where I am at the moment. I wish I’d had some of  the resources that I have now when I first started writing. 

What advice would you offer to someone whose first book is about to be released? 

I would advise all new authors to do as much research as possible about marketing/promotion months before the book releases.  Connect with other writers and get referrals to people who specialize in marketing/promotion. Build a strong commitment to work hard to sell your books. Become familiar with social media and stay visible on those sites, start blogging, attend local conferences, connect with book clubs, talk to local bookstores, and libraries. If you are self-published, it may be difficult to get your books into major bookstores in some states, California is one. But some authors are reaching out to small neighborhood stores, beauty parlors, car wash services, and other non-traditional places that have a lot of foot traffic.

What’s the most interesting change in your life as a result of being an author? 

The most interesting change for me has been the number of people who tell me they want to write books after they find out that I’m a writer. What’s even more interesting is the number of people that I meet (some have emailed me) who have no idea of where to begin and ask me to teach them how to write or edit their work. I usually respond by saying that I’m not a professional editor, but when they finish their manuscripts, I can refer them to an experienced editor. I also recommend that they thoroughly research the literary business and I normally write a few tips i.e.: writing workshops, conferences, books about writing, reading books in the genre they plan to write in, and any other information that I think of at the time.

What are your favorite three social medial platforms and how are you using them for promotion? 

My favorite social media platforms are Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress. My blogs appear on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress,  I respond to other Facebook posts, share some of the things that I do regarding my writing and nursing/teaching professions.  I do use Linked-In and Instagram sometimes, but Facebook and Twitter are the main sites I use.

Oprah always asks, “What do you know for sure?”

What I know for sure is that the Lord gave me talents, one of which is writing. If I use them for His Glory and remain inspired to help other people, He will continue to guide my pathway. As the old African Proverb says, if you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go farther, go together.

To all of the SORMAG readers and to LaShaunda Hoffman, thank you for your kind support. God Bless You! 


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm


No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!