Thursday, February 27, 2020

FEATURED AUTHOR: Leah M. Forney





Daughter, granddaughter, sister, friend, and student are some of the hats that Leah Forney wears. A native of Queens, New York who is currently residing in Maryland writing and speaking came naturally to her. Leah Forney is the oldest girl of six siblings. She grew up without her mother and father raising her. She learned early on the importance of having a relationship with Jesus Christ from her maternal grandmother who raised her in the church. Leah’s love for writing came at a young age when she would pen poems to release the pain she felt from not having her parents in her life. Never knowing where her writings would take her, Leah penned her first book.  As she continues to accept the calling that God has placed on her life, Leah is open to seeing where her gifts and talents will take her. She released her first book Unapologetically Me: Living, Owning, & Walking in my truth on April 1, 2017. She released her second book Courage to Win: Igniting the Winner within on April 30, 2018. 

She is soon to release her third book Defining Moments: From Tragedy to Triumph to Destiny. 

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Readers can get in contact with me via email at Authorleahmforney@gmail.com , Via Instagram at IamLeahMichelle and on Facebook at Leah M. Forney

Tell us about your manuscript to published author journey.

Writing my third book was a difficult one to write because I was still living the experiences that I was writing about in the book. I always pray about my books before I ever write them to make sure that it aligns with what God wants me to release. Once God confirms the book for me, I usually outline my chapters and then I start writing. It usually takes me about 30 days to write a whole book once I put myself on a set writing schedule. Once I have finished writing the book, I send it to my editor and she will edit and re-edit several times before she sends me the final edits of the book. My editor does not format. So, I will hire a formatter to format the book for me and then I send it to be copyrighted prior to publishing.  

What inspired your book?

My new book Defining Moments: From Tragedy to Triumph to Destiny has been inspired by my journey with grief. From 2018 to 2019, I lost and buried 5 people close to me. I buried my fiancĂ© a week after our 2 year anniversary. One of my closest friends was murdered by her husband. My father passed away after years of battling with Alcoholism. A family friend who was like another brother to me commited suicide and my father in law died after grieving the death of his son who was my fiancĂ©. Life had hit me very hard and I had to still go to work and pay bills and function like a “normal” person while grieving tragic losses. So, Defining moments was birth from that pain and realizing that everyone experiences a Defining moment in their lives.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned a lot during my time writing my book about myself. I learned the importance of asking for support when you need it. I learned the importance of knowing what support looks like for you during your time of hurt and pain. I learn that Defining Moments will definitely show you the people around you and their heart towards you.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

My hope for this book is that it will help my readers truly understand how to support their loved ones through grief. I hope that by being so vulnerable to my readers that they will get a glimpse into the life of a grieving person and how it is a difficult and emotional journey to go through.

What would you like readers to take away from your book?

To understand that grieving is a process. To help them to better understand their own loved ones who maybe experiencing grief in their lives.

What do you believe makes your books stand out?

I think if you have ever experience a tragic loss(es), this book is for you. Grief has a way of making you feel like no one understands the pain you. It is true that no one understands unless they have been there before. This book is helping others who have experience loss to make sense of the emotions they feel.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

I wish I would have known that perfection is not obtainable. It is absolutely okay to be yourself flaws and all. I wish I would have known that if you focus on the bigger picture it will make all the little pictures of life seem so insignificant. Lastly, I wish I would have known that it is okay to take risks in life and in love. Risks are there to help you grow.

How do you find balance with your writing and life?

Self-care is the best care for me.  I always make time to take care of me. If I am not good then I cannot be good for anyone else.

How do you stay consistent with your book promotion?

I am consistently promoting my books through media interviews as well as all my social media platforms. 
Can you give us one do and one don't for those aspiring to be an author?

One thing I would say to an aspiring is to make sure you are writing for your intended audience and know where to find your intended audience. I would also say do not be afraid to tell your story. No one can discredit your experiences.

What advice would you offer to someone whose first book is about to be released?

Do not wait to the last minute to promote your book. You should be promoting your book at least 3 to 6 months before the release of your book.

What’s are your favorite social media platforms and how are you using them for promotion?

My favorite social media platforms are Facebook and Instagram. I use them by posting my book cover and little snippets from my upcoming book.

What three literary events would you recommend a writer in your genre attend?

SORMAG’s online book festival, Atlanta African American Book Festival, and BookCon are three events I would recommend a writer to attend.

What’s the most interesting change in your life as a result of being a published author?  
The most interesting change has been getting used to people knowing my name and my work as an author.

What about writing do you wish non writers would understand?

I would love for non writers to understand that writing and publishing is a process. It is not something that happens overnight.

How do you make time for writing?

I have a writing schedule in which I block out specific days and times to get writing done.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I love to travel, read, rest, and having a night out with my friends when I am not writing.

Oprah always asks, what do you know for sure?

I know for sure that pain is a process that helps you grow. You do not see how it helps you grow in the moment but as time goes on you will see how the pain has made you a better person.

Any last words for our readers?

Be yourself. Trust your process. And know that pain does have a purpose.


Tragedy strikes. The unexpected happens. Your life falls apart in an instant. Death and loss becomes your new reality. What do you do? Who do you turn to? How do you move forward? How do you begin to heal? How do you keep your sanity and faith?  In Defining moments, Leah M. Forney recounts her personal encounters with tragedy. She uses her personal experiences and stories to give a glimpse into her journey with grief. Defining moments will help you to discover how to turn tragedy to triumph. With each moment, you will discover your destiny hidden underneath your pain.

Join Our Community Today - Learn About The Current Books

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://bit.ly/SORMAGADS20


No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!