Thursday, February 27, 2020

FEATURED AUTHOR: Maureen Anderson




Native New Yorker, Maureen Anderson is a poet, writer, and author of the new novel November Rain.

A dedicated site-coordinator of a national young adult volunteer program, Maureen spends her free time writing poetry, romance and women’s fiction with multicultural characters that thrive in a world outside her own. Maureen travels around the United States and the Caribbean to soak in the sights and sounds of places where her characters learn to love. Her debut novel, November Rain, transports the reader from the streets of Harlem, New York to tropical San Juan, Puerto Rico.


How can readers get in contact with you?

email - wmrsanderson@gmail.com

website - www.coffeeandpencils.com

Facebook and Instagram @mawriterlife


Tell us about your manuscript to published author journey.

The journey was long, interesting and I wasn’t sure when I’d reach my destination. I started November Rain in the midst of my career as a financial compliance officer, while I raised two sons, and attended college at night. That schedule left a tiny window of opportunity to write. As a result, I stopped writing for a couple of years until my calendar cleared up. Company restructuring cleared my calendar and wiped away any excuses not to finish my work in progress. Needless to say, I finally finished, and I am a published author.


What inspired your book?

Honestly, my high school reunions. When we gathered together again after ten, fifteen, even twenty years it was like we’d never been apart. I couldn’t resist creating a romance about high school sweethearts reunited.


What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned a lot about the writing process. Before considering writing a book, I wrote short stories for black romance magazines. I could write those stories in a few days with minimal research. Writing a novel involves so much more, so I learned to be patient with the process.


What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I believe that too often we write people off, hold grudges, or give up on certain situations. I’ve witnessed generational pain, families divided, or people so embarrassed by family situations that they keep it to themselves. This can lead to creating a false persona that eventually becomes difficult to live with, isolation and depression. I want anyone reading November Rain to realize they are not alone.


What would you like readers to take away from your book?

I would love to see people connect with how special second chances can be.


What do you believe makes your books stand out?

Different cultures and traditions are featured in my books and the short stories I’ve written. Life has changed so much over the last two decades and some folks, not all, have moved away from family traditions. I believe it is essential to know the cultures of our brothers and sisters around the world. We love to travel, sample the rich food, dance or sway to the music, and swim in the pristine blue waters. But, what would it mean to fall in love with someone from that world? It’s that beautiful merging of cultures that I explore in my stories.


What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

    Just write
    Trust my vision
    To join more writing groups


How do you find balance with your writing and life?

I will honestly say it is not easy. I have a calendar where I map out hours spent on writing, reading, other things I’d like to accomplish and include at least 6-7 hours for sleep. I recently learned to add “me time” to my calendar. “Me time” depends on my need for that period of time and I make sure it is something relaxing. My productivity has flourished now that I’ve penciled that in.


How do you stay consistent with your book promotion?

As an independent author, consistency is extremely important. I think about it 24/7. Daily I create posts to connect with readers and remind them that my novel is on the way. I’m excited that my posts have evolved to share that November Rain is now available.  I also run Instagram and Facebook ads.


Can you give us one do and one don't for those aspiring to be an author?

Read. You must read if you want to be an author. I believe it builds your confidence and allows you to see where you fit in the literary realm.

Don’t edit before you complete your first draft. It is extremely tempting to fix your story as you write but it will slow you down. Trust me you will never get past the first chapter.


What advice would you offer to someone whose first book is about to be released?

Celebrate. It may feel surreal at the beginning and emotionally overwhelming. You did it. You are published. Celebrate. Now take a deep breath because it doesn’t end there, its time to promote the story you worked so hard to tell.


What are your favorite social media platforms and how are you using them for promotion?

Instagram. I share my life as a writer, inspiration, encourage other writers, post my book trailers and host giveaways.


What three literary events would you recommend a writer in your genre attend?

Romance Slam Jam, the RSJ Convention, is a must. It was the first conference I attended as an aspiring writer and it changed my life. The Harlem Book Fair in New York City which takes place each July. Also, I highly recommend attending a local literary event to connect with readers in your community.


What’s the most interesting change in your life as a result of being a published author?

It’s been quite humbling to be described as an inspiration and to see folks reconnect with a glimmer of hope and strive to pursue their dreams. 


What about writing do you wish non writers would understand?

Its not easy, even for the most seasoned writers. Writing something believable, and that includes fantasy and science fiction, involves a great deal of research. Thankfully research gives me joy.


How do you make time for writing?

I’m glad you posed your question in this way. I used to write ONLY when I had time, so I learned how to make time. Depending on where I’m required to be for my “day job” I look for coffee shops or libraries in the vicinity and schedule at least two hours to write.


When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I enjoy sketching and needlepoint. They are relaxing activities that refresh my creativity.


Oprah always asks, what do you know for sure?

I know that God is with me every step of the way. I wouldn’t be an author without His guidance.


Any last words for our readers?

First I’d like to say thank you, LaShaunda. I am grateful for this opportunity to be included in SORMag. For the readers, I’d like to add that many of our ancestors risked their lives to learn how to read. Let’s continue to honor those before us and keep reading or teach others to read. Enjoy this new decade and don’t be afraid to follow your dreams. Ciao for now.  



NOVEMBER RAIN exposes the discomfort of forgiveness, the value of family and the warmth of second chances.

Fifteen years ago, Torri and Antonio were inseparable—until Antonio disappeared, breaking Torri's heart. Now, fate intervenes to bring them back together—but will their second chance survive a revelation that throws both of their worlds into turmoil?


Now an award-winning photographer, Torri has a gallery in Harlem. The opening promises to be the most exciting night of her life—a promise fulfilled when Antonio, now the owner of the successful restaurant November Rain, saunters through the door. Fully believing that their reunion is fate, Antonio explains the devastating circumstances that triggered his disappearance and begs Torri's forgiveness.


She's inclined to give him a second chance, but just as they're regaining their footing, Torri's mother reveals a shocking family secret that flips their lives upside down. This time, it's Torri's turn to disappear…



Join Our Community Today - Learn About The Current Books

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://bit.ly/SORMAGADS20


No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!