Tuesday, October 10, 2006

OCT 06 FEATURED AUTHOR: Lyn Cote


Editor’s note: Lyn was the winning bid for an auction SORMAG participated in this year. As a fan of hers, I’m more than happy to introduce our readers to her and her books. As a Christian fiction writer, her site is the first site I visit each year to see what the market looks like. She does a comprehensive listing of the Christian market that every Christian fiction writer should read.

SORMAG: Please give the readers a brief bio on you the person and the writer.

Lyn Cote: I'm an empty nester with two grown children. My husband and I will celebrate our 32 anniversary this week (I was only 10 when we married. ) I love to write light contemporary romance, contemporary romantic suspense, but my true love is writing historical family sagas.

SORMAG: Tell us about your current book?

COTE:
Right now I'm working on the first in my new Love Inspired Historical, VERITY, the first in my Gabriel Sisters series, which will be released sometime late in 2007 or early 2008. Verity is one of three Quaker sisters who are up to any challenge God sets before them.In 1866, Verity for travels to Virginia to open a new Freedman school and collides head-on with the infant KKK.

SORMAG: What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

COTE:
I write for three reasons. To encourage, to entertain, and to enlighten.

SORMAG: What led you to the idea of writing this book, and then to the actual writing of it?

COTE:
I always look for historical settings that are rife with conflict and I also see American history as the one of many different races and ethnicities and I try to portray this in my stories. We don't have a monochromatic history.

SORMAG: What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

COTE:
People who are not storytellers always want to know how hard it is to come up with ideas.For most writers, coming up with ideas is not the hard part. The hard part is taking what is in my mind and finding the words to put on the page so that my reader gets the complete package of what I am imagining. That's the hard part.

SORMAG: How are you marketing your book and what are your thoughts about the importance of marketing for authors?

COTE:
Marketing is absolutely necessary. While the author cannot do as much as her publisher can, she must make herself available to readers and to reviewers, get noticed. Readers can't buy a book they are unaware of.

SORMAG: Name your top five favorite writing books of all time.

COTE:
I always use D. Swain's The Techniques of the Selling Writer, Tammy Cowden's Hero and Heroine Archetypes, D. Maas's Writing the Breakout Novel, James Scott Bell's Plot and Structure, and C. Vogler. The Writer's Journey.

SORMAG: What was the last book to keep you up at night reading it?

COTE:
Sharon Dunn's Murder of A Garage Sale Newbie.

SORMAG: What resources do you use on the net?

COTE:
I use the Internet for agreat deal of research. In fact the Internet has revolutionized the writer's life. We are no longer lonely creatures sitting back in the stacks of a library.

SORMAG: How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

COTE:
I can be reached at l.cote@Juno.com and www.LynCote.net.

1 comment:

PatriciaW said...

Hopped over to Lyn's website and found the 2006 market update. Great information in one place! I'll be sure to check back in 2007.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!