Monday, October 22, 2007

OCT FEATURED AUTHOR: Monique Lamont


Monique Lamont: Born and raised in San Diego, CA and now currently resides in Virginia with her loving husband and two wonderful children. She loves to travel, read and write. Holding degrees in both education and counseling, she’s always enjoyed working with people. For eleven years, she has served proudly in the Air Force. Currently, she is pursing her M.A. in English and Professional Writing. Fondly, she holds a membership with Chesapeake Romance Writers.

In her stories she loves taking the impossible and making it possible, sensual and believable in a story. She has been writing since sixteen and working toward perfecting her skill ever since. In 2003, she published her first book while living in Europe Merger for Life. Since then she has won the publisher’s award for her second book Double Take. She went on to publish Healing Hearts, Freedom’s Quest (Merlicious 2), Fire and Desire and Passion’s Blood (Vegas Bites Back). Stay on the look out, because there are many more to come.

Visit Monique at her blogsite: http://moniquelamont.blogspot.com/


She loves to hear from her readers: rmancn_u@yahoo.com

Tell us about your current book?

The next book coming out is Fire and Desire, releases this fall with Parker Publishing, LLC.

Trevor Lewis a computer business owner has the contract of a lifetime at his door with the governor’s old firm and flames of revenge in his heart he just cannot shake loose. Five years ago, a man stole something precious from Trevor. Finally, opportunity knocks giving Trevor a chance to settle the score with his old college nemesis, through the other man’s fiancĂ©. Tiffany Hatcher is a highly sought after party coordinator and the daughter of the governor. When she plans a secret bachelorette party in Las Vegas, too include a stripper name The Fireman. Things go from hot to scorching…fast.

Tiffany is appalled at her own behavior when she awakens to find herself hung over, in a strange bed and married to the dancer from the night before--Trevor Lewis. Life can’t get more complicated for Tiffany as she attempts to get a divorce, manage her father’s career and run her own company. To make matters worse, every time her so-called husband shows up, it becomes harder for her to resist the passionate desire she feels for him. She soon finds she can’t hang on much longer, something has got to give.

Trevor, her elusive and mysterious husband is determined it will not be him. As he pushes Tiffany toward accepting his love, her own sensuality and learning to live life outside of her father’s shadow, he discovers that she is not the only one caught in a tangled web of emotions. But can Trevor decide to walk away from his revenge in hopes of having a future with the woman he loves.

What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

That love inspires. When a person truly loves you, they support and give you the nudge you need to reach your personal and career potentials in life.

What inspired this story?

We used to have a black governor in Virginia. He didn’t have a wife like most politician, but his adult daughter traveled, conducted speeches and was always by his side. I used to wonder what her life was like. If she wasn’t representing her father’s career how different would her life have been.

What did you learn while writing this book?

It’s not so much what I learned as what I remembered. In life, a lot of things and people hurt us. It’s important to do what we can to release that pain so that revenge doesn’t build to the level of destroying us or the people we love. Of course, this is a romance so it turns out well in the end, but as a counselor, I’ve seen things turn out differently.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love my genre. I love writing romance in all it’s forms. Creating a character that comes to life in my mind and my readers is exciting. Rejections. No matter how many you get, it never gets easier.

What are three things you wish you'd known before you reached where you are now?

I wish I knew that re-writes are okay. I wanted so much to hold on to the original version of my first book. That years later I had to pull it, because I was shocked at how poorly I told a great story. The second thing is I learned honest critique partners help you more then those who give you kind words. Lastly, how to promote myself from book one.

What should a new writer know about the publishing business?

It’s tough to get in but not impossible. Finish that first and second book. No, publisher wants a one hit wonder. Go to as many conferences as you can, to learn and get appointments to pitch your book. There’s nothing like being able to put requested material on an envelope.

What do you do to make time for yourself?

I spend my free time with my family. We go to the movies, park, out to dinner. Our favorite thing to do is take a family holiday. That means no school, work or writing…we spend the whole day with each other, no cell phones or outsiders included.

How can readers get in contact with you?

Readers can e-mail me at rmancn_u@yahoo.com. My blog is another place they can track my books and the contests I’m holding. http://moniquelamont.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Hi Monique,

Thanks for the interview. I definitely want to read the book. How do you wake up married to somebody. That had to be some party LOL.

I think the best part of my job is meeting authors. I remember when we met at the Slam Jam, we talked up a storm. Hope to see you at the next one.

Deatri King-Bey said...

Great interview. You've come a long way since we first met at the Romance Slam Jam. I'm proud of you.

Keep on writing and reading

Deatri

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Great interview! I've been trying to get the book via Amazon but it's not available yet... Do you know when it will be available?

Gwyneth

The Paperback Diva said...

Monique, as you know, I'm a big fan. I can't wait to get a copy of Fire and Desire in my hand!

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!