Monday, June 09, 2008

FEATURED AUTHOR: FARRAH ROCHON

EDITOR NOTE: You know how much I push promoting yourself, so I’m always happy to hear from new writers. Farrah is one of those writers who has no problem promoting herself. She sent me an email introducing her self when her book was about to debut. I was happy to help promote her. I also am a fan of her blog. She always has interesting posts. Farrah was a big winner this year with the SORMAG Reader's Choice Awards, the readers loved her debut novel, Deliver Me. I had the pleasure of meeting her in person at the Slam Jam. She’s is as sweet in person as she is online. Please take a moment to see what’s she’s been up to since her first book.

FARRAH ROCHON

A native of south Louisiana, Farrah Rochon officially began her writing career while waiting in between classes in the student lounge at Xavier University. After earning her Bachelors of Science degree and a Masters of Arts from Southeastern Louisiana University, Farrah decided to pursue her life-long dream of becoming a published novelist.

Her debut novel, DELIVER ME, garnered rave reviews, earning Farrah several SORMAG Readers’ Choice Awards. When she is not writing in her favorite coffee shop, Farrah spends most of her time reading and surfing the Internet. An admitted sports fanatic, Farrah feeds her addiction to football by attending New Orleans Saints games on Sunday afternoons.

RELEASE ME

When NBA hopeful Tobias Holmes was injured in a car accident, he had to find a new passion. After a couple of false starts, Toby is making a name for himself in the music industry where he gives raw talent a star turn. When his most promising client is chosen to be on a reality TV show, Toby knows exactly where to turn for help.

Sienna Culpepper has spent years convincing herself that Toby will never be able to see her as a woman instead of a childhood friend, and working with him to bring success to his new star has all of those carefully buried feelings starting to surface. It seems almost too good to be true when Toby starts responding to the heat simmering between them. But can Sienna trust his heart to follow where his desire leads?

What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

I want someone to read the last page of this book, then flip back to the first page and start all over again. Even if they only get to page five after coming to their senses and realizing they have a bunch of other books to read, I still want to have that affect on readers. I want them to become so attached to the characters that they don’t want to let the book go. I’ve read books that captivated me, and they are all on my keeper shelf. I want to be on someone’s keeper shelf!

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that the “friends turned lovers” storyline is not as easy to write as I thought it would be. I constantly questioned whether the relationship was moving too fast. I’ve read other books where characters have known each other their entire lives, and then, Eureka!, they’re in love. Sometimes it works, but I knew it wouldn’t for Toby and Sienna’s story. I learned to be patient and let the characters dictate the pacing of the emotional and physical relationship.

What inspired this book?

That’s easy, my love of basketball and reality television. Well, that and the incredibly hot hero. When developing the plot for Toby’s story, I knew basketball would have to play a role because he was a former NBA player. I added the American Idol-theme reality TV show because, first, I love American Idol, and secondly, I thought it would be fun and different. I hope readers think the same.

What is the hardest part about the writing business?

The business aspect of it. The constant promotion, wondering if you’re doing enough, wondering if that next contract is going to happen. I miss the days of being blissfully ignorant of all that goes into getting a book on the shelf. Even during times when my manuscript is giving me fits--like right now--I’d still take the actual creation of the story over the business side of writing any day of the week.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That it is not easy! So often I’ll hear people say that they are going to write a book soon, when they get a little extra time, as if it’s the easiest thing to just throw out a book. No, people, this is hard work. Even the “formulaic” romance novels that I write. Did that sound a bit snarky? :)

What marketing have you found that particularly works well for you?

Thank goodness for the internet. I’ve met so many readers through MySpace, my blog, and online readers sites like SORMAG. It’s the virtual face time with readers that works best for me. I love talking to book people about books, and as we all know, romance readers are fanatical about their books and love to talk about them.

What are three things you wish you'd known before you reached where you are now?

One: That you can’t just throw together a book (I was one of those people I mentioned in the question above).

Two: That my personal reading time would diminish so dramatically. I would not have spent my grade school years playing Nintendo if I knew I wouldn’t have time to read for pleasure.

Three: That even after completing seven full-length novels, I would still have days where I want to pull my hair out.

This month our theme is Mainstream Fiction. Can you give us five mainstream authors you read?

I read very few mainstream authors, which is funny because at one time that’s all I read. You couldn’t get me to read romance for a million bucks! I can’t give you five, but one of my favorites for the moment is Steve Berry. He writes fabulous mainstream thrillers.

Do you have any advice for the aspiring writer?

If this is really what you want to do, just stick with it. Don’t let fear of rejection stop you. Also, don’t make excuses for why you can’t write, and then get upset when other writing friends start to see their dreams come true.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

I love hearing from readers. I can be contacted through my website, blog, and email:

http://www.farrahrochon.com/

http://www.farrahrochon.blogspot.com/

farrah@farrahrochon.com

7 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Farrah,

Thanks so much for the interview. Your book is on my summer reading list. Many blessings to you and your career.

Charles Gramlich said...

A great interview. I have all of Farrah's books. Good stuff.

Shauna Roberts said...

Thanks, LaShaunda, for featuring Farrah on your blog. Her first book was great, and I can't wait to read the second.

Rae Ann Parker said...

LaShaunda, thanks for a great interview with a really nice person. Both of Farrah's books are fantastic. Not only are the stories great, reading them feels like taking a trip to New Orleans.

LaConnie said...

Hi Farrah and LaShaunda:

Thanks so much for a great interview ladies!!

Farrah, your books up next.

Best,
LaConnie

Phyllis Bourne said...

Hi Farrah,

I just finished your book and really enjoyed it!!!!

Can you tell us a bit about your writing routine? Do you have a daily time or page quota?

Thanks for another great interview LaShaunda!

Phyllis

Farrah Rochon said...

Thanks for having me at SORMAG, LaShaunda. You know your site is one of my fav lurking places. :)

And thanks to all of you who have read, and those who are going to read, Release Me!

Phyllis, since the book's release I've fallen a bit off my routine, but I usually try to give myself both a time and page quota. I try for three hours a day and between 7 - 10 pages, whichever comes first.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!