Wednesday, November 19, 2008

FEATURED AUTHOR: Marcia King Gamble


Marcia King-Gamble is a national best selling author, and an ex-travel industry executive. She’s lived in five different states and traveled to some of the more exotic parts of the world. The Far East, Venice and New Zealand are still her favorites.

She enjoys a good work out, is passionate about animals, old houses, and tearjerker movies. Marcia is also the editor of a monthly newsletter entitled Marcia’s Romantically Yours. Log onto her website www.lovemarcia.com and find out what she’s all about.

FIRST CRUSH

Laila Stewart is a copywriter living in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Hudson Godfrey, a struggling vintner lives in Washington State. Hudson and his partner are new to the wine making business and run a legal firm to help pay their bills.

Deciding that he is in no position to have a relationship with Laila, Hudson breaks things off. A confused Laila blames it on geography. Opportunity presents itself in the form of a house swap and Laila swaps her houseboat for a cottage in Washington State.

The surprise factor on her side, she arrives at Hudson’s winery. When Hudson’s partner, Jonathan, hires Laila to write advertisement for the vineyard, she and Hudson are forced to interact on a regular basis. From the beginning it is clear someone is trying to sabotage the men’s plans to open their winery. That someone must be stopped.

Can true love prevail?


What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

Relationships are complicated. First Crush opens with a couple breaking up rather than the typical man meets woman scenario and they embark on a relationship. I hoped to convey that timing is everything and that sometimes you need to lose a loved one to really appreciate what you had. It's something most of us can relate too.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I enjoy a good wine. Rather than set this book in California wine country I chose Washington State. Although I've lived in Seattle a couple of times it was interesting to research wine making and become knowledgeale about what it takes to start a vineyard.

What is the hardest part about the writing business?

On a beautiful day (like today) resisting the urge to stop writing to go out and play. Writing requires discipline. There are times you just have to park your butt in a chair and write regardless of whether the muse is with you or not.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Most writers understand that not everyone is going to like their voice or even get what they're saying. You write because you have too. You develop a thick hide and continue to produce the best work you can despite the naysayers.

Our theme this month is Time Management. How do you do to manage your writing time?

I've always been good about managing my time. I've had to be. When I was first published I had a very demanding job and was more out of the country than I was in. I write every day even if it means carving out an hour or two before the sun rises or after the world is in bed. It's called discipline. If you can make time to eat then you can make time to write. Set aside a particular hour of the day, let the answering machine pick up and even if it means just writing one page a day then do it.

What are three things you wish you'd known before you reached where you are now?

I wished I'd known that writing is a business and that promotion is everything. I wish I'd known how isolating writing can be, and how competitive this business is.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Never. If you truly are passionate about writing you'll never give up. It just takes one fan letter to make you realize how worthwhile this business is.

Do you have any advice for the aspiring writer?

Yes, perseverance pays off. Don't let anyone discourage you from writing. This is a constantly changing market and what one editor turns down another might love. Keep at it and dream big.

What are you thankful for this year?

I am thankful to be healthy, happy, and gainfully employed. I am very thankful for this opportunity to reach out to readers and say thank you. You've made my dream possible.

Five questions about books:

One book you’ve read more than once.


The Color of love written by Sandra Kitt. She's one of my favorite authors and a good friend.

One book you couldn’t put down until you finished.

The Color of Love wins hands down again. It's a poignant love story and beautifully written.

One book that made you laugh.

Anything by Janet Evanovich. I love her Stephanie Plum stories set in New Jersey.

One book that made you cry.

Wild at Heart. It's a book by Patricia Gaffney about a boy raised by wolves now has to be socialized.

One book you wish you'd written.

Toni Blake's in your wildest dreams. It's wonderfully written and the sensuality is tasteful. The hero makes a woman's toes curl.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

I love hearing from readers. Feel free to log onto my website http://www.lovemarcia.com/. You can e mail me at mkinggambl@aol.com or write me at P.O. Box 25143, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33320.

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!