Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Purposely Said


Reaching Your Goals

When I was a child there were numerous queries as to what I wanted to be when I grew up. Broad grins and words of encouragement were the responses from family members and friends that bolstered my goals for the future.

With the belief that I could accomplish whatever I set out to do, I dared to step into the literary arena. Lessons learned along the way have been valuable. The most valuable of them all has been in knowing that I had to set goals.

Knowing this I began my march toward success with two important strategies, a vision and a mission statement.

The vision statement allowed me to write out/see what the end result of my goal looked like. It was necessary to do this so I would recognize it when I saw it. More important was that I would be equipped to step away from deterrents masquerading as the goal of writing novels.

The mission was my strategy/roadmap to follow for accomplishing that goal. Included in that plan was the necessity to take writing and business courses. I joined a writing group, attended literary events, took out subscriptions to industry magazines and read, read and read some more.

Through the writing groups I learned how to accept constructive criticism, was challenged to push harder in the areas I was weak in and encouraged not to give up. At literary events I attended courses such as plotting, pacing, demography, research and even how to infuse levity into writing. To my surprise, many of those workshop presenters who are well-known authors, have remained in touch with me and keep me pushing toward my goal. Industry magazines have kept me abreast of the latest tips, insights, trends and technologies that would assist me in remaining current.

To some this may seem a bit daunting, but it really isn’t. Planning ahead for success takes time and energy that you may feel you don’t have. Despite the possible stamina draining process the end result can definitely be worth the effort.

As aspiring, novice and seasoned authors, if you have not done so, I encourage you to take the time to write your vision and mission statement. Set it somewhere that you will see it everyday. From that master plan make a list of quarterly goals that are divided into today. Each day you should be a step closer to accomplishing your goal(s) by honestly being able to check off at least one item from that list.

Bottom line – A person without a plan is a person planning to fail; and reaching a goal is an expectation that cannot take place without proper planning.

Until next time, remember—Purposely Said words can destroy or create a life. Linda!


Dr. Linda Beed is an educator, speaker, children’s minister and author of Business Unusual. She co-moderators BWChristianLit, maintains its sister online blog and is the founder of the Damascus Road Authors, review editor for KDGospel Media Magazine and contributor to Victorious Voice Magazine.

lindabeed.com / MySpace / On Assignment Reviews / BWChristianLit

2 comments:

moι said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the comment.

Glad that you're enjoying the column.

Linda!

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!