Monday, April 11, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: P. Nettie Nelson




The Supper Models

A sexy romantic story of true friendship between four “Rubénesque” women.They defy all the modern myths that “no man wants a big girl”. Each character brings a unique quality into the four-way relationship: compassion, determination, wisdom, and courage. Each woman has her own conflict to contend with, but they manage to find the time to support each other in the truth spirit of sisterhood.

P. Nettie Nelson, a proud native Texan, has been writing most of her life. Discarding conventional romantic fiction character stereotypes, she brings a fresh new look and body image to the romantic heroine. Her work is simplistically sexy and very indulgent. She suggests a bubble bath, red wine, dark chocolate and John Coltrane to compliment her novel.

How did you start out your writing career?

I feel like I have been writing all of my life although I wrote my first story around 8 years old. I love all facets of writing: fiction, poetry, stage, screen even journalism.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that there was actually a novel inside of me all of this time. Supper Models actually started out as a short story, just a little something I had to get out of my system. Before I knew it, I had developed characters and they just kept on growing into a full novel.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I wanted to continue the tradition of true friendship and sisterhood in fiction, demonstrated best by Alice Walker and Toni Morrison. I also want to dispell the fiction myth that all lead female characters are fragile, virginal waifs waiting to be rescued. That theme is great for a historical romance, but contemporary romantic fiction no longer needs a damsel in distress situation. And if she is, her girls can help her work it out! LOL!


Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

BillieJean! She is confident, sexy and smart and she wears a 14/16. What? She has big brand new breast implants to add to her vulptuousness and she's got that little bit of freak in her; we all need that fantasy sometimes.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

I am surprised by the dedication it takes to promote yourself, to get out there and get the word out. Its as if afte work, I go back to work, blogging, facebooking, looking for ways to draw readers to my work.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love when the feeling just flows and the pages are filling up and I getting all into the action and feeling it...and then the phone rings or my man needs taking care of and I have to stop!

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

First I wish I had just epublished this novel at first and not faced the numerous rejections. Secondly, I wish I had more time to dedicate to promoting my writing. Finally, in the midst of my second novel, I realized now that I under-estimated the depth of the story and I am working extra hard at completing it. (hope that makes sense?)

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

First time writers, its ok if you start out writing the greatest novel of all time, and it ends after five pages; call it a good short story and move on. Writing is a learning and growing process. It's about quality not quanity. Big cliche right?

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That writing is a gift, not a money maker. If you're trying to break into writing to be rich, good luck and let me know how that works out.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

Ruby Montana from James Baldwin's Just above my head. Her character is strong, understanding and she loves her man and has his back throughout the story. Not once does she doubt him or think him weak, even in the midst of his breaking down after loosing his brother, she just lays real good loving on him and makes him get up out of bed and face the world. Now that is one hell of a woman!

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Spare time is me time. I love going to bookstores, especially used books, records and stuff. I can browse for hours.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

Being a new e-author, I started a facebook account and I am looking at other options for reaching out. Ideas are welcome!

Our theme for this month is Ebooks. Do you own an ereader and if so, what the last book you downloaded?  If you don’t own an ereader, do you see yourself purchasing one in the future?

I do own an e-reader and the last download was Eric Jerome Dickey's "Tempted by Trouble"

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

 In the words of N'dambi, "I think for sure that what it is will be whatever it will be. Wait and you will see what will be will be." It's just that simple ladies.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

The next book, a spin-off of The Supper Models, is a ultra-erotic look into one of the very minor characters life, who will become major in your hearts!

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

I am on Facebook. Just drop me a line, be my friends.LOL! I would love feedback from readers! Plus I will be posting a sneak peak of the upcoming spin-off novel soon.




If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!