Monday, May 09, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Myne Whitman



Myne Whitman was born and raised in Enugu, Nigeria, where she spent most of her time, studying, reading and daydreaming or climbing trees and playing with the boys. She has a Master’s degree in Public Health Research but has chosen her childhood dream of spinning stories. After a few years in Edinburgh, Scotland, she now lives with her husband in Seattle, USA. She writes and blogs full-time, and also volunteers as an ESL tutor for a local charity. She critiques with the Seattle Eastside Writers Meet-up and is a member of the Pacific Northwest Writers Association.

In addition to writing popular fiction to get people reading, Myne is passionate about using the internet and social media to promote the book industry and literacy levels in Nigeria. To this end, she facilitated a session, "Social Media and the Book Publishing Industry", for the Publisher’s Forum at the 2010 Garden City Literary Festival, Port Harcourt, Nigeria. She is also the founder and managing editor of NaijaStories.com, a critique website for aspiring Nigerian writers.

How did you start out your writing career?

I've always been writing but I decided to make a career of it after I got married and moved to the states. This was during the recession, and I also felt it was a better job to juggle with raising a family.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learnt a lot, including consistency, patience in dealing with my editor, and also dedication to the craft of writing.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I wish that those who read it would enjoy a good story, and be entertained while learning one or two things related to the theme of forgiveness, love and relationships.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

I loved writing about Kevwe who was the hero. He is a twin with some special abilities and it was fun to play with those.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

Mostly, it is the satisfaction I get when I receive an email or a comment on my blog from someone who has read my writing and loved it. It's also intriguing the different reaction one gets from readers on the various aspects of a bit. You know I can write one thing, and it can be read in as many differing ways as there are readers. This has taught me to be clearer in my writing.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love the first draft the most, when the words are surging, and I can play with my characters as I discover them the more. The editing part is a bit more difficult, especially when I have to cut out parts of the story I'd grown very attached to.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

Well...lol...no one told me about the editing. It's a lot of hard work being a published author, and I wish I'd known how to deal with becoming an unexpected role model.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do: Keep writing!

Don't: Forget to edit.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

The time and effort it takes to really write. But hey, most of us writers enjoy what we do.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

Oliver Twist, he has so much adventure!

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I watch a lot of TV and movies. I also enjoy reading books.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I have a blog, a facebook fan page, and I am also on Twitter. My readers can also send me emails or chat with me instantly on my website.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know for sure that Jesus loves me.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

In my next book, a young girl disowned by her father has to make her way in the world.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

They can visit my blog, join me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter. My website address is http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com/

A LOVE REKINDLED

Efe returns home after years in the United States, dreaming of a happy, independent life. However, everyone expects her to get married, and her nights become plagued by nightmares of Kevwe Mukoro, her ex-fiancĂ©. Long hours at work and drinking in nightclubs only provide temporary relief. When she encounters another Mukoro, she knows it’s a matter of time before he is back in her life. Sparks fly when they finally meet again, but desire is no match for bitter-sweet memories of first love and heartbreak. Will they put the past behind and allow their love to be rekindled?

If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

2 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Myne,

Thank you for being our featured author today. I love the cover of the book.

Many blessings to you.

Myne said...

Thank you so much LaShaunda, it was an honor to be featured.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!