Monday, May 21, 2012

FEATURED AUTHOR: Tremayne Moore



Deaf, Dumb, Blind & Stupid: Michael Anderson's Fight For Life

Deaf, Dumb, Blind & Stupid is a novel that addresses child physical/sexual abuse as well as teenage suicide. Deaf, Dumb, Blind & Stupid is how Michael Anderson saw the world. Who would hear his cry for help? His death would shake a congregation.

WE Didn’t Plan On This

The funeral is at Severna Community Church and Brother Elliot Freeman comes up to the podium. The faces, the looks of despair remind me of an old black and white silent film. Time seems to slide by in slow motion, but nothing will ever be the same.

“Good afternoon, everyone: I will be presiding over this funeral, as we celebrate the life of Michael Anderson. I want to acknowledge his family who’s here: his mother Viola; his father Gerald; and his sister Stephanie. And I want to thank the friends and extended family members who came to this occasion. We are not celebrating the fact that he’s dead, but his life is a lesson for all, especially parents. And if I break down, please bear with me. It breaks my heart to see children die before their time. He had something to offer to this world, even though he’s no longer with us,” the minister took a deep breath, struggling to continue. I wondered how he could.

“Through my interactions with Michael, he really wanted to get a message across to everyone who knew him and those he had yet to meet. I know there are some people here who know Jesus, and there are some who believe in Jesus but in actuality are very hostile to Jesus: you have zeal but it’s not according to knowledge. I hope you will be able to see Him as He really was during the course of this funeral, and I pray that you will understand what Michael was trying to get across, as well as consider what God is trying to say to you through Michael’s life. We are going to talk a little bit about his life, and for some of you, it will come as a shock. I know some of you went to school with Michael, and it’s my understanding that you had a moment of silence for him.” The minister was offered some tissue before he continued.

“I met Michael when he was about eleven years old. We’ve had private conversations about his home life. As I close my portion, I will allow a few people, the ones mentioned in his journal, to speak and give their condolences. The conversations began after we had a Sunday school lesson about forgiveness. He was a little troubled with that, especially when he was telling me that he was abused by a relative. As I mentioned, I will be highlighting certain areas of his journal due to time, because I believe there are some things that are very important to him, and I believe you will benefit and appreciate what Michael had to say about his life. I know that some of you didn’t plan on being here today, but I believe God brought you here for a reason.” The minister’s eyes seemed to bore into me as I sat intently listening.

As I think about it, I’m surprised Michael didn’t get caught sneaking letters to me when he would come to Sunday school on Sundays. He tried to be as brief as he could with me, and if he could write longer without getting caught, he would. He knew that he was always monitored by his parents. He knew the philosophy of the household, ‘what goes on in the house, stays in the house.’ Somehow, and I believe God was intervening; he was able to get the letters to me whenever he could. So, I will be sharing with you highlights of his life. Now for some of you, this will be a shock, but I believe that this is going to set somebody free. Let us pray:

“Father, in the name of Jesus, I pray that you watch over everyone here. I pray that your Spirit will minister to these your people. You know that Michael is not with us in the physical, but his spirit and legacy lives on. I pray Lord, that you enlighten the eyes of our understanding and that You be with me as I deliver the message You want conveyed to these your people. It’s in Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”

BOOK TRAILER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du7Hsw_rVpA



Tremayne Moore, founder of Maynetre Manuscripts, LLC, is an accountant, a writer, a psalmist, a modern-day Griot, and a Spoken Word motivational speaker. He is the author of the poetry series You Can Take It. Academically, he holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting from Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Management Information Systems from Florida State University).

How did you start out your writing career?

I started my writing career by writing poetry in high school. As the years progressed, I continued writing and a publisher grabbed hold of one of my poems. This would mark the beginning of my writing career.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned while writing this book (Deaf, Dumb, Blind & Stupid), that suicide among teenagers is the 3rd leading cause of death. As I listened to people from different age groups, that physical & sexual abuse is prevalant among families and parents take the side of the abuser than their own child who's being abused.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

My hope is that we learn to come alongside people who are abused and show them agape love. In most cases, when a child is abused, their perception of love is warped. In the church world, it's my prayer that we stop pointing fingers at the abused, wounding them more with our attacks against them.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

The plot came first while I was sitting in my office. As I wrote out the plot, the characters would follow. I believe the reason the plot came first is due to my own encounter with abuse and hearing stories about teenagers being abused.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The response of readers actually reading my books and sharing with others.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

The aspect of writing I love the most is meeting other authors and learning from them.
The aspect of writing I hate the most is suffering writer's block at times.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

1. The importance of marketing (going outside your circle of friends)
2. How to handle rejection from your close friends
3. You won't be a best selling author immediately!

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

If you're aspiring to be a writer, journal everything you write and please don't release your book without going through an editor/proofreader.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

I wish non-writers would understand that the majority of us aren't writing just for a dollar, many of us have a voice and it's the only way for it to be heard. Truthfully, many non-writers have a voice. It's all about supporting each other.

Tell us something few know about you?

Well, I have a love for cooking and baking. Activity wise, I love to bowl.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I am usually reading or listening to music (to relax my mind and spirit).

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I interact with readers via my blogsite, Facebook or Twitter

Our theme for this month is BOOK READERS. Name your top five favorite books of all time.

1. Three Feet From Gold
2. Where The Sidewalk Ends
3. The Cat In The Hat Comes Back
4. Rich Dad Poor Dad
5. See You At The Top

Who was the first author you ever met?

The first author I met was Shantae Charles, the author of the Church Love Series (and happens to be my editor).

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know that you are guaranteed success if you package your talent.



Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

Note, it's not proofread yet, but see attached.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Mail: PO Box 14823/Tallahassee, FL 32317
E-mail: tremayne_moore@yahoo.com website: www.maynetre.com

If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!