Tuesday, June 19, 2012

FEATURED AUTHOR: Jamie Jones



Jamie Jones is ready for her close up. She always did have a passion for writing since she was a little girl. Going from writing stories that only her family could read and writing scripts as a little girl in which she would act out all the characters; this 27 year old stay at home mom decided she is ready to share her passion of writing with the world. She once had a desire to have a successful music career, until she realized that being an author was not only a passion but it just fit her perfectly. After facing a number of rejections growing up trying to strive for a music career; she decided she would self-publish her debut novel, Echo of Her Cry to be in control of her own destiny. That’s when Passion Street Publications was born in which she is the CEO and Founder of. Jamie makes it clear that she would love to be signed to the right publisher. Until then; she is determined to be a respected self-published author.

Jamie loves being with her family. She and her husband and 2 year old daughter reside in Houston, Texas.

Twitter: @itsjamiej
Facebook: authorjamiejones
Website: www.iamjamiejones.com

How did you start out your writing career?

Writing has been a passion of mine for many years. I used to write books years ago and my grandmother would turn down her television and listen to me read them to her. She does the same thing now. Lol. As I was writing my book, Echo of Her Cry-she and my husband would listen to each chapter as I finished. I’ve written music, poems and even scripts that I would act out all the characters to when I was a little girl. (Smile) In middle school I wrote poems that some of my classmates would recite. I even remember a classmate reading a poem I had written for a school program. So, writing has always been a huge part of my life. My career started officially with this book. I decided to share my passion with everyone.

What did you learn while writing this book?

My characters took on a life of their own. The more I would write, the deeper I would get into the story.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hope that my readers will recognize my passion for writing by enjoying this story. It’s fiction but it’s realistic and relatable. I definitely would like to build a fan base that will look forward to more books from me.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

When I knew what I wanted my book to be about-the characters popped in my head from their personalities on down to their image. I can’t really explain why. Maybe it’s the mind of a writer. Lol.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

It feels good knowing that Echo of Her Cry went from a manuscript that I typed on my laptop to a book that is published and many are really enjoying. The feedback has been great.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love writing. It is definitely a passion of mine. I can’t think of anything I hate about it.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

I’m still learning different things about this industry. I think regardless of the amount of time anyone is in any industry-they learn if they are open to learning.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

I would say the key to longevity is passion. You have to love what you’re doing. If someone aspires to write I would say DO it if you enjoy writing and everything that comes along with it. I would say DON’T do it if you’re only doing because someone else is doing it. Writing is not for everyone. Find what works for you and carve and mold your own steps.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

It would be my previous answer. Writing is NOT for everyone. I get a lot of “How do you write a book” questions.

Tell us something few know about you?

I love cooking. That’s actually another passion of mine. I love to cook and create recipes.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Spare time? I like watching the Food Network Channel, Sweetie Pie’s and a few other shows. (Smile)

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I use social media. Twitter, Facebook, my blog that’s on my website (www.iamjamiejones.com).

Our theme for this month is INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS. Have you ever considered self publishing your work? Why or Why not?. If you are a independent publishers, can you offer some tips for taking this journey.

I self-published Echo of Her Cry. The tip I would give is to definitely do your research.

Who was the first author you ever met?

Well, Victoria Rowell is an actress first but she’s definitely an author. In 2008 she released a book called, The Women Who Raised Me: A memoir. I had the opportunity to sing two songs at a book signing that she held in Houston, Texas. That was a great experience.

Oprah always asks, what do you know for sure?

I know I love my family and I am blessed. I have a beautiful and smart 2 year old and a great husband. I was raised by my grandmother and my uncle Isiah and they are incredible people. My mom, my siblings. I love them. My spirituality and my family are important to me.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

Echo of Her Cry is a 3-book series. So, for those who’ve read Part 1 can look out for Part 2.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

My email address is authorjamiejones@yahoo.com; Twitter:@itsjamiej; Facebook; authorjamiejones; and my website is www.iamjamiejones.com.



Myla Pickins was the average carefree teenager living what seemed to be the perfect life. With successful parents in the food industry, a fun-spirited best friend, and the love & attention of almost every high school girl's dream guy, life couldn't be more rewarding-that is until devastating news, at least for an unwed teenager, abruptly halts her fun. While eventually accepting the upcoming role of motherhood, and with the support of her parents and boyfriend, Bernard, Myla begins to understand the changes she needs to make to improve her life. But the story is just beginning to unfold. Discover the shocking secret that will turn her world upside-down and force her to make decisions she never imagined. Will she break under pressure, or will she find the strength to move forward?



If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!