Thursday, July 25, 2019

Featured Author - Nita Brooks





A reading addict, self-professed connoisseur of home improvement shows, and a collector of teapots, Nita Brooks resides in South Carolina with her family. Redesigning Happiness is her debut women’s fiction novel. 

Twitter: @AuthorNitaB
Instagram: @AuthorNitaB

What would you like readers to take away from your book?

I hope readers think about what happiness means to them, and after reading about my main character’s journey to redefine what happiness looks like for her that they feel empowered to seek out their own joy.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

I had the most fun writing the main character, Yvonne Cable. She’s an interior designer to the stars, engaged to a popular home improvement show host, and thinks everything in her life is going great. I enjoyed watching her have to redefine what would truly make her happy. When she’s first hit with the realization that her child’s father is back in her life she thought she could manage things without changing much, but in the end she had to change a lot. I didn’t know what direction Yvonne was going to take at the start of the novel, so letting her take me to her ultimate decision was surprising and fun. 

What do you think the future of AA romances will be?

I hope they have a bright future. Not just for romances, but for stories about strong Black women who are able to find happiness in all aspects of their life. I don’t want to just read about women struggling. Let me see the joy after the struggle. We need more stories of women achieving great heights, finding balance in their life, and being happy with themselves.

What advice would you offer to someone whose book is about to be released?

Be prepared for anything! I’m still processing the multitude of emotions that come up as I get closer to the release date. Accept that a negative review might make you sad the same way a positive review will brighten you day. Realize the negative and the positive are both subjective and one person’s opinion. Be proud of the work you’ve done. 

What three literary events would you recommend a writer in your genre attend?

I’ll be attending Romance Writers of America in July and the Decatur Book Festival in August. Both of those events would be good to attend to meet other writers. I’d also recommend any local events near you to cut out on travel costs. If there aren’t any, consider reaching out to your local library to ask about hosting a reading, signing, or workshop. 

What literary event can we find you this year?

I’ll be one of the authors reading at the Lady Jane Salon in New York on July 24th. I’m signing books at the Midtown Reader Bookstore in Tallahassee Florida on August 23rd. I’ll be on a panel at the Decatur Book Festival in Atlanta August 30th. I’d love to meet readers and other authors there.

Who was the first author you ever met?

Cheris Hodges was the first author I ever met. I found out she was doing a book signing in my town and I scrambled down to buy the book and meet her. She was very nice. I’m a big fan.

What’s the most interesting change in your life as a result of being a published author?  

How much I’m expected to be on social media. Posting to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter is another aspect of the job I hadn’t considered. I love to visit all social media sites and lurk, but having to think of engaging content for my own pages is overwhelming. I’m still getting used to that. 

What has surprised you most about being a published author?

The requests to do a book signing or an interview. I’m honored whenever someone takes the time to reach out to me. This is my first women’s fiction novel, so it’s still a surprise that people care to learn more about my debut. It’s a humbling experience I don’t think I’ll ever get over. 

What about writing do you wish non writers would understand? 

That the characters really do tell you what they’re going to do. When I started Redesigning Happiness I knew exactly what I wanted Yvonne to do, but as the story unfolded and the situations changed I was surprised not only by her decision, but by the decisions of some of the supporting characters. We aren’t making it up when we say the characters speak to us.

Can you give us one do and one don't for those aspiring to be an author?

Do learn all you can about the business of publishing and choose the right path for you.
Don’t expect things to move quickly. Even if you self-publish. It takes time to polish a novel and get it ready for people to read. 

What advice would you offer for someone who is having a hard time finishing the book?

Step away from the work for a day or two. That’s what helps me. I’ll “cleanse my palate” by watching television, going to a movie, or spending time in a home decorating or craft store. I think better after I’ve cleared my mind. 

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I love going to craft and home improvement stores. I can spend all day in Michaels, Homegoods or Lowes. I also collect tea pots. It started when I was in college and saw a tea pot I loved at a yard sale. I’ve been spontaneously purchasing tea pots every since. 

Oprah always asks, what do you know for sure?

That no matter what happens I will be proud of the work I’ve done. 

Any last words for our readers?


Thank you for taking the time to read this interview, and hopefully, give Redesigning Happiness a try!

It wasn’t easy for Yvonne Cable to get over a heartbreaking relationship and revamp her life. But now the once-broke single mom is Atlanta’s most sought-after interior designer—and one-half of the media’s hottest power couple. She and her celebrity fiancé, Nathan, are a perfect, practical match, on—and off—camera. And with their new home improvement reality show the object of a fierce network bidding war, there’s no limit to how far they can go . . . 

But Yvonne is stunned when mogul Richard Barrington III unexpectedly makes an offer for their program. He’s the man she thought left her for a more successful woman. And he’s the father of her son—though he didn’t know it until now. Richard wants to get to know their boy, and Yvonne agrees, though she’s wary. Yet little by little, she’s finding it hard to resist the responsible, caring man Richard has become. But when a scandalous leak puts everything Yvonne’s worked for at risk, she’ll have to look beyond surfaces to come to terms with who she is—and discover what she truly wants.



Join Our Community Today - Learn About The Current Books

Do you need help with your promoting? - https://conta.cc/2HrlqBQ


No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!