Friday, August 23, 2019

Featured Author: Taylor Baker





I was born in St. Louis, Missouri to Traci Baker and Anthony Jones. I am a 22-year-old graduate student at the University of Kentucky where I am pursuing my masters in medical science. I received my Bachelors of Science in Psychology from Bradley University. After my masters, I will pursue a medical degree to practice psychiatry. My personal history led to both my passion for mental health and the writing of A Depressed Christians Mind. Most importantly, I am a follower of Christ. I have been a Christian since I was the age of six. My Christianity is the foundation of who I am and the main reason for the writing of a Depressed Christians Mind, my first book (but definitely not my last).



Contact information: website- www.taylorbaker.net email: authortb@gmail.com



What would you like readers to take away from your book?

I want readers to realize that everyone deals with a black horse: something that they are ashamed of or don’t want other people to know about. Whether it be a mental illness or a past traumatic event, odds are that someone close to you has to deal with the same issues. I specifically want others - Christian or not - to know there is no shame in spreading your story. In fact, only good things can come of it. To my fellow Christians, I want them to take away at least this one thing; do not give up on God because He is still working… even if He feels absent.

Why did you decide to write your memoir?

My mom had been telling me for several years that I should write a book, and I prayed that God would reveal to me what to write. I had not prayed about it or even given it much thought for years when I was sitting in a social studies class my senior year of college and God revealed it to me. I was listening to my teacher, kinda, and suddenly I heard ‘write about you’. I started writing on my laptop in the middle of class.

Why do you think depression is such a taboo subject?

I think as a culture in general, we just don’t want to believe depression is as common as it is. The United States has become much more progressive in being open about topics of mental health, but the discussion is not authentic. We talk about suicide hotlines and how to get in touch with a counselor. We talk about the warning signs. We don’t talk about what to do when your best friend tells you they are going to kill themselves. We don’t talk about self-harming or the scars that it leaves. We don’t want to admit that we aren’t as healthy a society that we think are because we have succumbed to the idea that we are supposed to be strong all the time. This is particularly true for the African- American community. When black kids confine themselves to their rooms, they are deemed rude or mad. We have ‘no reason’ to be depressed. The African- American community needs to rid itself of the belief that our black youth cannot be depressed or suicidal.  



What  advice can you offer for someone who deals with fear?

Fear leads to anxiety. It is best to try not to think much about what it is that’s scaring you, and face it head on. Franklin D. Roosevelt famously said ‘Courage is not the absence of fear, but the judgment that something else is more important.’ This means that even though you are afraid, you have the courage to overcome that fear and do what needs to be done.  

Do you plan on writing more books?

Definitely! My next book will be about my journey to becoming a psychiatrist. My goal is to show aspiring doctors how untraditional a route may be to achieving your goal.  

Who was the first author you ever met?

Jermesha Striblet, author of Brown Girl Proverb while attending Bradley University. I am dreaming of meeting Jodi Picoult, my favorite author of all time.  

 
What has surprised you most about being a published author?

The most interesting and surprising thing about being an author is that my relationships have changed drastically. Not so much as a result of being an author, but because of the content of my book. People formed their own opinions about what I had to say and changed the way they act towards me. Or they don’t communicate with me at all. It’s sad, but I am completely unapologetic about my truth.

What about writing do you wish non-writers would understand? 

Bring your ideas to life for your readers, whether it be fiction or non-fiction, is much harder than it seems. When you’re reading a book and it comes alive in your mind, take the time to silently praise the author for their gift. They put an immense amount of time, care, and detail into making sure the book is as realistic for you as possible.



Can you give us one do and one don't for those aspiring to be an author? 

Do have someone in your corner that can encourage you during the process. It is long and can get discouraging. Dont rush the process. After you finish writing, it is easy to just want to be done with it, but there are several other steps that have to take place. 

What advice would you offer for someone who is having a hard time finishing the book? 

You don’t have to rush and get it finished; Don’t be afraid to set the project to the side. There is no time frame in which it has to be done. If you set it to the side for a bit, something in your life may happen that inspires the ending. 

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time? 

In the summer, I spend all of my time working and preparing for the upcoming semester. During the school year, in addition to studying, I enjoy school sports such as football, basketball, and soccer. 

Oprah always asks, what do you know for sure?
 
I know, for sure, that I am a child of God, and He is waiting for me at the gates.

Any last words for our readers?

Don’t be afraid to share your truth!





A Depressed Christian's Mind, A Memoir depicts what it is like for its author simultaneously experiencing depression and being a Christian. It confronts the conflicting emotions felt as a result of struggling with poor mental health and still trying to maintain her faith in Christ. Despair and joy. Fear and faith. Anxiety and peace. Read about her journey as she continues to conquer her depression through prayer. 

 


Join Our Community Today - Learn About The Current Books

Do you need help with your promoting? - https://conta.cc/2HrlqBQ


No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!