Monday, April 10, 2006

FEATURED AUTHOR - Tempie D. King



SORMAG: Please give the readers a brief bio on you the person and the writer.

Tempie King: This is a great question and one that I had really never thought about until lately. From a subjective point of view I believe there are similarities and differences that contribute to the essence of me the person and me the writer. Even though we are the same we are yet different. Both seem to compliment and embrace the other in allowing each to be the very best in discovering their fullest potential. What I find fascinating is that me the person and me the writer have each learned how to work very well together with out conflict to accomplish our common goal of simply being the very best we can be living life in a very vivacious and loving way.

Tempie King the person was born in Memphis. I lived in Nashville, Louisville and Chicago the past 25 years and I recently quit my Management HealthCare Position in Chicago’s Hospital System a couple of years ago to return home in Memphis and help my family care for our parents who became critically ill suddenly and both died about a month a part. I have had a passion for writing and reading for as long as I can remember. I have a B.S. Degree in Pre-Med and have attended Writers Digest School of Novel Writing. I’m currently in process of pursuing my Master Degree in Business Management and am currently a Consultant that enjoys speaking and utilizing my Sales, Marketing, Management and Healthcare Skills. My hope is to always portray my Christian values in all that I say and do. I’m very proud to have become a published author. My debut fiction novel, Feelings was just published and released on March 27, 2006 by Publish America and dedicated to the memory of my parents and brother.

As a writer I am very much the same except I learned that I’m able to allow my pen and words on paper create and develop and go beyond any boundaries or restrictions that I felt ever existed. In during this as the writer I’ve been able to experience all emotions and learn to overcome and rise above obstacles, heal sooner and grow beyond at a level of self assurance that as the person would never knew thought possible in my wildest dreams.

SORMAG: Tell us about your current book?

KING:
Feelings is my debut fiction novel with a lot of inspired truths. When I wrote it ten years ago I had an idea as I outlined my storyline to build scenes, plots, conflicts and characters involving questions of where I wanted Feelings to go. Writing to answer questions such as; what if anything, does doing the right thing really mean? Or knowing God would forgive them but wondering could they? Or even would you? Being torn between deciding to continue living to please family or following their hearts to happiness, which would they choose? Or if being faced with seeing diversity and asking were they still yet the same? And if faced with confronting reality and knowing what was done, they could loose everything if the truth was ever told? Once I felt I had mastered these questions, created and developed my characters and outlined my chapters I felt confident in writing and presenting my story. But then something very profound happened.

Just as I was writing and editing my first sentence on the first page ten years ago, it happened...I actually witnessed the birth of a fictional character that immediately came alive and took total control. Her soul was born on paper, carrying over fifty years of history that had been kept inside of her. She used the power of the pen to unleash all of the hurt and turmoil that had haunted her soul. The moment her medium brown eyes met on paper and looked into the dark brown eyes of her unknown friend, she became alive. She was no longer a main fictional character, she became Feelings heroine, and she had a very real story to tell. At that point she took complete ownership of the story.

Manerva R. Jones, was not just created she had been unleashed and she came out strong to tell her story. A story which covered the lives of herself as well as so many people she had seen or know or had read about living in a time and a city where racism and injustice was rampant and existed then as well as still being very much alive over fifty years later. An injustice that involved race, gender and status quo. It was just ugly. But she was determined not to tell it ugly. She was determined to tell about this dark, ugly and mean creature but in a loving way.

And so it was a battle for me the author from the very first time I became face to face and met the powerful and ambitious Manerva. All of my ideas and outlines were over powered by the sheer power and determination she brought forth when given the opportunity to finally speak. Thus a sort of dimensional storyline effect immersed. As the author my storyline was fiction and created to allow each of my fictional characters to come alive, interact, present dialogue and action so that hopefully the reader would be satisfied. Manerva on the other hand was a creation of fiction but her stories and life were so real and they were based on a lot of inspired truths. There were actual battles throughout the story where being the author I had to yield to my heroine and remove myself completely and allow her to guide and dictate the story. For an example, when she had the opportunity to tell Dr. Grant off. I had to move and just let her work it. I had no idea what she would say or how she would say it. She had suffered so much and the inner afflictions and scars were there. Her boldness and her ambition to see justice done was her driving force and I knew she would not stop nor would she heal from her past until she was allowed to tell her story in her own way and tell it now. She was on a mission.

SORMAG: What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

KING:
I invite readers as well to do the same thing and just hear over fifty years of history methodically interwoven and told by a fictional heroine named Manerva R. Jones. She will fight this dark, ugly and mean injustice in such a loving way by standing firm in doing what is right. I invite and challenge readers to meet her, and read her story, Feelings.

She wanted to tell the story in a way that readers saw how her love for humanity and growth had risen about racism and she could exist in a multi- culture environment. She also told me her story had to be told in a way where the three things she treasured the most that she had seen with her own eyes be denied of others during her time and even before her simply because of race, gender and status quo had to be there. They were love for God, love for family and love for freedom. She wanted to tell her story and show how it could be an inspiration for generations to come not just for blacks but for all people, that rising above any stigmatism, hope and justice can prevail in the face of adversities.

SORMAG: Tell us about your publishing experience?

KING:
Feelings is my first fiction novel that I actually wrote ten years ago. All of life seem to exist and it was not until this past August that I signed a contract with Publish America with them agreeing to publish my book. I base my publishing experience on this and my publishing journey has been beautiful. From August 2005 until February 2006. Less than six months Publish America along with friends, family and support groups have made my dream come true. I received my published author copies delivered by federal express from Publish America on February 8th and I was able to salute and dedicate a ten year dream to the memory of both my parents on my Dad’s birthday February 9th.

Additionally, I want to thank SORMAG and LaShaunda for her On-line Writer’s Conference. Publish America’s Public Relations department notified me several days ago that they have placed this prize award on Publish America’s website indefinitely UP IN LIGHTS!!!

Tempie King Wins Promotion Package from Book Entrée Tempie King, author of Feelings won a one-month state promotion package from Book Entrée when she attended the SORMAG (Shades of Romance Magazine) On-Line Writer’s Conference. Ms. King was notified of her winning entry on October 27, 2005, and was told that her prize would be held until her book was published in February 2006.

This State Promotion Package consisted of Two Newsletters from Book Entrée, sent twice monthly to thousands of librarians in the states of Tennessee, Mississippi and Illinois. Ms. King's book has also been placed on the Unsung Great Books page, indefinitely.

For more information, please visit BookEntree.com.

SORMAG: How do you feel about critique groups?

KING:
I think critique groups can be informative. They can be the real pulse of objectivity. They represent your reading audience. They can point out strengths and weaknesses about you as a writer, your characters and your book. This in my opinion can be a great way to get constructive criticism and help you in your writing journey.

SORMAG: What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

KING:
I wish non-writers would understand that a writer has to have an environment that allows his/her creative juices flow. They need that to think clearly and freely. I wish non-writers would have a higher level of compassion for a writer’s style of writing and writing environment. I have so many other writer friends and we all have different styles and situations that we feel we write best in. For me I like peace and quiet. I find myself waking in the middle of the night when everyone sleeps or when I am alone. I know this type of environment is not easy to achieve and I’m just saying if at all possible just allow that writer to be in his/her favorite environment and watch the difference in the outcome of the writing.

SORMAG: Do you have any promotional tips for writers?

KING:
Having been in sales and marketing over twenty five years I would say to writers as I would any business person, to always sell your self. Be proactive and start marketing immediately. Don’t wait and rely on others including your publisher. Surround yourself and join support groups of other successful writers. Be as a sponge, listen and learn from others that have been successful. Always set goals and have writing projects to practice and perfect your skills. Participate in as many workshops, trainings, seminars, conferences as possible and always focus on networking and getting known. Be persistent and consistent in your writing journey.

SORMAG: What is a favorite book from your childhood?

KING:
I remember reading a lot of different books but I can’t remember a particular title, I remember later going into my teens reading a lot of mystery books especially most of the Nancy Drew Mysteries.

SORMAG: What was the last book to keep you up at night reading it?

KING:
The last book that kept me up reading it was Babylon Sisters by Pearle Cleage. It intrigued me so, I couldn’t figure it out and I couldn’t put the book down.

SORMAG: What resources do you use on the net?

KING:
Publish America has a very informative website including an author message board with a great variety of topics including writing discussions. I use many but here are my favorites; Authors Den where authors and readers come together. Writer’s Digest School, Memphis Raw Sistaz, Raw Sistaz, Author’s Guild, Book Entree, Amazon , Christian Writer’s Market, and of course SORMAG.

SORMAG: How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

KING:
My address: Tempie
P.O. Box 901457
Memphis, TN 38190
My email: Td901457@yahoo.com
My websites: http://www.publishedauthors.net/tempie/bio.html
www.tempieauthor.com

4 comments:

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

Hi Tempest,
I've learned a lot about your strong will in your interview. Much success to you on your debut release, Feelings.

Love & Peace,
VeeJay

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

Oops, I'm sorry, I meant to type Tempie...I love your name...Please forgive me.

Love & Peace,
VeeJay

Tempie said...

VeeJay,

Thank you so much for saying what you did. I count it a blessing to be able to share a dream come true with others such as yourself. I'm delighted that you were touched and posted a comment.

Love Ya Tempie

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!