Friday, August 17, 2012

FEATURED AUTHOR: Jamala

Jamala has been writing for 30 years. She currently resides in the Atlanta, Georgia Metro with her husband and two daughters. She relocated to Atlanta from a small town in South Carolina. She reads almost anything and writes mainly fiction. She dabbles in poetry, prose and other non-fiction work. She has been published in regional magazines and newsletters. She is working on a medical book and another collection of short stories, which will be her third collection. She enjoys, reading, singing and obviously, writing. Her newest pastime is playing with her grandson. She is a simple person, who likes simple things. As a child, Jamala, always saw herself as an author, though she could never determine what kinds of books she wrote. She loves fiction, but there are a few subjects which are “dear to my heart” and sometimes she writes about these. She actively works with the National MS Society and is a religious person. Jamala believes everything good will take hard work and is worth having, especially if it benefits others.

 How did you start out your writing career?

 I used to make up stories to tell my children and they encouraged me to publish the stories. But, my first book was poetry (had to get my feet wet).

 What did you learn while writing this book?

In writing the short story collection, I learned that my imagination is endless. I kept coming up with new plot twists and had to scale things down.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I wanted to make my children proud of me and I want to see my name on a book.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot?


Why? The characters came first. I took situation that I heard of or experienced and made up a story and that is why the plot came second. I can always come up with a story around a personality.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The love and support from readers. As a reader, I never dreamed that I would experience the same things that I felt, one day.

 What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?


I love developing the outline for a story. I hate distractions when I am writing (phone, door, persons walking into the room and talking).

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

1.      More about the business of writing

2.      How to start my own publishing company

3.      How enjoyable the feeling of accomplishment can be

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do: Write everyday with small attainable goals in mind.

Don’t: Get discouraged and let others “piss on your fire”.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That writing is a business. Sure, you can do it because that is what you love to do, but selling books, takes hard work and they will not just fly off the shelves just because they are published.

Tell us something few know about you?

I’ve always wanted an older brother.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Read, cook, sing (around the house) and most of all play with my grandson.

 What do you do to interact with your readers?

Post excerpts from the book and respond to each email or guestbook signing personally. I ask the readers for suggestions and comments because I want to hear what they have to say. It is important to me. I will begin having book signings next month and this will give readers a chance to meet me in person.

Our theme for this month is NON FICTION.  What was the last non fiction you read?

I read a book called “What Does the Bible Really Teach?”

Who was the first author you ever met?

Michael Baisden

Oprah always asks, what do you know for sure?

I know that writing is a part of me and can never be taken away.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

Yes. My next book is a collection of short stories set around the staff and workers of a warehouse. It will be called Warehouse Chronicles.

 How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

 Mail: jamala67@gmail.com

The new website will be published soon (old website: http://larosathomas.wix.com/larosa-thomas#!

In Because I Love You, Denise married her high school sweetheart, but things have changed over the years. Has the love of her life become a different person? Did she turn a blind eye or was she just plain stupid? Friends are great to have. Leslie and her husband have a good friend and Leslie is committed to her family, but other people have their own plans for her life. Wonder what they have in store? Ray’s Aunt has died and Samantha has tried everything, now there is nothing left to do but let him know how she feels. Who will walk away from this Funeral Weekend?

Sometimes we have too much on our minds to sleep. In Sleepless Morning, Adrienne wants this man so bad she can taste it and she knows he wants her, too. She finally gets him, but can she keep him? In Its My Money, Jessica has always been self-sufficient, but did she put her trust in the wrong man? Tasha loved her job and her boss loved her. How will she handle things with him at The Shop?





If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!