Monday, October 07, 2019

Do You Have A Promotion Mindset?










When I started teaching book promotion, I noticed a lot of writers came to me for help when they were at their lowest.  They had lost all hope in their books and in themselves when it came to promotion. 

As a person who deals with fear I recognized the signs that their mindset wasn’t right for promoting and I learned that I had to help them build up their promotion mindset.

Just as your mindset is important to your writing, your mindset is just as important to your promotion and if you don’t’ deal with your mindset, you will have a hard time with your promoting.

A few  years ago I created this challenge for the Promotion Mindset.  This week I will be sharing what I learned about the promotion mindset and how you can start to build yours up if you have issues with it.

I’m going to begin by sharing my story and how I’m working on my own promotion mindset.

One of the first lessons I learned about having a promotion mindset was when I published my book.  I thought I was ready to promote my book, but I didn’t have a clue.

You see I’m the publisher of Shades Of Romance Magazine.  I’ve been promoting books and writers for nineteen years.  To be honest I love promoting other people.  I didn’t realize I would have an issue with my own books.
Unfortunately, I also deal with fear in my everyday life.  So much so that in the past it ruled me to the point that I almost missed my opportunity to become a published author.

Fear has a lot to do with your mindset and how you deal with things.  If you are dealing with fear, you will have a hard time having a promotion mindset because you have to change the way you feel to be able to promote your books.
It took time, but I began to deal with my fears and soon I began to have a promotion mindset.

I can’t promise that after seven days you will have a promotion mindset, but I can say you will begin to deal with those fears so you can be on the road to a promotion mindset.

What is a Promotion Mindset?  For me a promotion mindset is 5 things you need to do in order to be able to promote your books.

Each day I will introduce you to a different topic and give you a challenge to help you move toward your promotion mindset.

DAY 1 – TODAY’S TOPIC IS: FACING YOUR FEARS

YOU ARE READY TO KICK FEAR TO THE CURB!

Admitting your fears is a hard thing to do.
For that I say pat yourself on the back.  You did a good thing admitting you had fears.  Some people will never admit that.  I used to be one of those people. 
I’m not going to say I’m going to teach you how to beat fear, because I don’t think you ever beat fear you just learn how to deal with it.  So this challenge is all about dealing with fear daily.
When I look back at my life, I must admit, that fear has always been there.  That’s a hard thing to admit because I use think I was fearless, I’d try anything once.  I was fooling myself.
FEAR WON:
When I wanted to try out for the cheerleading squad and I let the older girls intimidate me. 
When I wanted to go to an event, but I was afraid to go by myself.
When I had to decide to stay in the Navy or get out and I let the fear of going by myself one more time push me home.
When I let rejection letters stop me from being a romance writer.
SOMETIMES I BEAT FEAR
My husband – The love dream
SORMAG - the magazine dream.
Building Online Relationships – The book dream.
Fear can be beat but I will admit it puts up a good fight and you have to learn to recognize the signs of fear, so you can beat it.
When I was ready to admit fear was a HUGE issue with me, I had to write down the signs of my fears.
For me it looked like this:
Procrastination
Perfection
Not believing in myself
Worrying
Not making changes
Settling
Not asking for help
Being independent
Not going after my dreams
For you it might look like something else or it might be the same things.
Today is all about facing your fears. 
I knew that until I admitted my fears, I wouldn’t be able to beat it.  I sat down and wrote down what I feared the most.
The book would suck.
No one would buy the book.
No one would read the book
No one would write a review.
The book wouldn’t sell.
When I looked at my fears I realized none of those fears I had any control over. They all dealt with people who would read or not read the book. They were outside my circle.   I could only control what was inside my circle.  I was inside the circle and I could only control writing the best book I could.  I could keep the book inside my circle or release it to the world and face my fears.  I was ready to face my fears.
Are you ready to face your fears? 

YOUR CHALLENGE ASSIGNMENT: 
WHAT ARE YOUR FEARS?
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF YOUR FEARS?
Sometimes when you write them down, they’re not that bad.

Write down the signs of your fears? – How do they show up to you?
Write down your promotion fears?
Make a circle.  Inside the circle write down the fears you control.  Outside the circle write down the fears you can’t control.
Are they inside your circle – can you control any of the fears?
Are they outside your circle – Are they controlling you?
Write down how you can get past these fears.
What one thing will you do today to move away from fear?

POST THIS ON YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA:
I CAN’T ROCK FEAR BUT I CAN BEAT IT DAILY #promotionmindset
Stop by tomorrow for Part 2.  If you have questions or comments, leave them in the comments.
Share this post with someone who needs a promotion mindset.
 
Part 2 - Believe In Yourself







No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!