Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Promotion Mindset - Part 4 - Do You Know Who Your Audience Is?







DAY 4  – TODAY’S TOPIC IS:  DO YOU KNOW WHO YOUR AUDIENCE IS?

PROMOTION FEAR:  I won’t find an audience for my books.

One of the biggest fears most writers have is not finding an audience for their books.  I know it was one of my fears and I had to learn that my book isn’t for everyone.  It’s the one lesson we writers all have to learn.
You will spend many hours trying to figure out who your reader is.  Don’t think it will happen overnight especially if you write in different genres.  If you write for one genre then you might be able to break down your reader but don’t think it will be easy.
WHO IS YOUR READER?
When I first released my book I just knew I’d sell a ton of copies because I knew a lot of writers, of course they would want to buy my book and support me. 
THAT’S NOT HOW IT WORKS.
I was devastated the first week when I didn’t become a #1 Best Seller on Amazon.  How dare those authors not support my book.
My husband brought me back down to earth and reminded me that nobody had to buy my book.  He was right.  Just because someone knows you, doesn’t mean they will support you.  Get that out your head right now.  No one owes you a dime, no matter how many times you have supported them doesn’t mean they will support you back.
I tell my clients this all the time – Your family and friends are not your audience.
For me after I wiped my tears, I sat down and had a virtual tea with myself.  Who is my audience?  I picked up my promotion plan and revisited who was my ideal audience.
I had three that I was targeting for my book.
The newbie – Someone who just released their book or planned on releasing their book.
The seasoned author – someone looking for fresh ideas for promoting.
The business owner – someone looking to learn how to promote their business online.
Nowhere in my target audience did I have – Writers I’ve supported in the past.  They weren’t my target audience.
I share my mistakes, because I want you stop letting fear tell you nobody is supporting you.  Of course, nobody is supporting you because that’s not your audience. 
Sit down and figure out who your reader is, so you can go online and offline to find them.
FIND YOUR AUDIENCE
You need to know where your audience is, the best places to find them.  If you are on social media platforms, you want to be on the platforms your readers are on.
Just because everyone is on Facebook doesn’t mean your reader is on Facebook.  Do your research.
If your readers are visiting different sites and online magazines. Visit the places and see if they have the audience for you and if they prices fit into your budget.  For example SORMAG (Shades of Romance Magazine) I do promotions that target multicultural readers.  If your book has multicultural characters in it, then SORMAG is a great magazine in which to promote your books.  Or, you might go to Radiah Hubbert at Urban Reviews.  If your books are urban fiction that may be the spot you want to check out and see if you’re a good fit. 
You want to promote where your readers are, not where you think they might be.
DO YOU KNOW WHO YOUR AUDIENCE IS?
YOUR CHALLENGE ASSIGNMENT: 
If you don’t have a copy of my book, go download a copy and read the chapter all about figuring out your reader and where to find them. 
http://amzn.to/1oyaw1E
If you have my book, start reading if you don’t know who your target reader is.
I promise you, knowing your reader will take away a lot of the fears floating in your head.

POST THIS ON YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA:
Do you like (genre) Check out my book (title and link to purchase) #promotionmindset

Part 5 - Do You Have A Plan

 
Share this post with someone who needs a promotion mindset.


Join Our Community Today - Learn About The Current Books

Do you need help with your promoting? - https://conta.cc/2HrlqBQ


No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!